Thread: Fishermen, looking for a new steelheading baitcast setup. Recommendations?

Default Fishermen, looking for a new steelheading baitcast setup. Recommendations?

I'm planning on hitting the steelhead on the larger rivers this fall, and my ultralight stream trout setups won't be ideal for the bigger fish and faster moving waters I'll be fishing. I'm looking for a decent sub-$150 round baitcast reel and a 9'-10' medium/light to medium weight rod in the $100 range. So far, I've been considering the Abu Garcia C3 5500 and an Okuma SST 9'6" medium/light casting rod. Are there any other reels and rods I should be looking at? I've always been an Abu guy when it comes to baitcasters but I wouldn't be opposed to trying a different round baitcaster.
    '16 Fiesta ST

love my ugly stik but I go after walleye northern and bass

I have a 6'6" Ugly Stik but I'm looking for something made of graphite. Ugly Stiks are nice, but you need the sensitivity of a graphite rod to fish for finnicky critters like steelies. Ugly Stiks are a mix of graphite and fiberglass. Great rods, just not the right tool for the job, but great for horsing bass and pike out of weeds and woodpiles.
    '16 Fiesta ST

I don’t know steelhead fishing at all but I’m sure st. Croix and g-loomis have technique and species specific setups.

G. Loomis is great stuff, but far beyond my budget. My 7'6" ultralight stream trout rig is a G. Loomis, just the rod set me back $300.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information