Thread: DIY Full A/C Repair & Recharge?

Forum Member

Default DIY Full A/C Repair & Recharge?

Curious if it's worth the hassle. I have a 2003 Yukon, 150k miles, that was in a front end collision back in Jan 2018. Insurance totalled it out and I bought it back and am just getting around to getting it back to pre-accident state. A/C worked up until the wreck. I believe the condenser was damaged in the wreck - it's got a visible wave to it. Bummer, too, as I hit a deer in Nov '17 and it was replaced then.

Anyway, since the system is totally empty at this point, I am considering replacing the condenser and picking up a vacuum pump/manifold set from Amazon for $100 or $125 and refilling it myself. I was also considering throwing dye in there now, in the event it bleeds down again I'd be able to find the leak.

Is this a simple enough procedure to do, or is it more hassle than what it's worth? Any other recommendations to be replaced - certain O rings, etc - before I recharge it? Any other words of advice?

Seemed like the procedure was basically to apply vacuum and make sure it holds over a period of time. If that passes, apply vacuum for a good 60+ mins to ensure all moisture is gone. Refill with oil, refill with coolant (planned on using a digital food scale to measure amount put in the system).

That's the general procedure but you are probably better off paying a shop to evac and recharge for the overall cost. I have a gaugeset and I wam considering getting a vac pump but then I still have to buy refrigerant so that makes it more money than its worth (not to count the amount of cash I have into my gauges). If you plan to do AC repair often then buying the tools will eventually pay for themselves.

As for or-rings, any O-rings that you can get to, replace. Orifice tubes are commonly skipped and sometimes clogged.

Forum Member

Thanks for the head's up - I wasn't even thinking of the orifice tube. I will change that and all O-rings I can find as that seems like good, cheap insurance. I'll probably pay a shop to charge it - seems like it'd run me far less than I was anticipating.

Appreciate the info!

Thread Information