Thread: PCV sucking oil from valve cover

Default PCV sucking oil from valve cover

How can I resolve this?

PCV system is sucking a tremendous amount of oil from the passenger side valve cover.

PCV hose is hooked up to the intake. Supercharger creates so much vacuum it is sucking oil out of valve cover.

Anyone have a solution? I've tried oil separators, various PCV valves, nothing is working.

The Trick Flow valve covers do not have a baffle, like stock ones do. Even using stock valve covers, it will suck oil.

How much? I can fill a 3oz catch can with 1 full throttle pass.

What do imports do when they add turbos?
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Either need a well setup catch can or eliminate the pcv all together. I have spent hours researching this exact thing on boosted ls setups and still don’t understand it lol. I know Mighty Mouse solutions has perfected high hp pcv setups for ls but I’m not sure he has worked with anything else. Maybe send him a email?

Get rid of PCV system and use open breathers or run lines off the valve covers to a catch can. Or better yet, weld a baffle on to the valve cover.

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Get rid of PCV system and use open breathers or run lines off the valve covers to a catch can. Or better yet, weld a baffle on to the valve cover.

--Joe
    Trick Flow, with their infinity wisdom, decided to put the PCV hole, right above the bolts holding the OHC, so there isn't enough room for the baffle inside the cover.

I was thinking of an external baffle that would allow the oil to drain back into the valve cover, but allow the gases to bypass.

Using open breathers would cover my motor in oil. I'm running 23-25psi
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

What about a breather like the old 5.0L(in the center rear of the lower intake)? The steel mesh between the breather tube and valve cover? It's a long shot but might slow it down. You could also put a breather in that location and drill another hole in a different spot for the PCV and add the baffle. It might look odd but it's understandable.

take the line from the valve cover going to the SC out of the equation and run a line from that aforementioned valve cover to a catch can that you can put a top mounted clamp-on cone filter onto. If you are still getting oil blasted everywhere, I would be worried about too much blowby happening.

Could you put some kind of restrictor in the PCV line? Let it suck a little, but not enough to vaccum all the oil from your head? It would still get into the catch can on hot passes, but not near as much at least.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Club Member

This is a very common problem with oval track cars. We ran a line from the breather to a simple aluminum catch can. We used to use one of these....
    http://www.colemanracing.com/Breathe...Kit-P3882.aspx

The hose was very heat resistant and held up well. Once we used these, our engines were dry as a bone. Even though it says for dry sump, I even put one on my sportsman car with a wet sump....

Just my .02....grr

Thread Information