Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford EEC V programming

hpt requires the pcm to be installed in to the car typically unless you can make a mock harness that functions as if it were in vehicle for use. I haven't worked with an 2001 cobra flash file, but as long as hpt supports it, I should be able to figure the system out.

It's better than a standard scan tool for most vehicles, just dont expect it to deliver the same across all vehicles even if it supports the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    hpt requires the pcm to be installed in to the car typically unless you can make a mock harness that functions as if it were in vehicle for use. I haven't worked with an 2001 cobra flash file, but as long as hpt supports it, I should be able to figure the system out.

It's better than a standard scan tool for most vehicles, just dont expect it to deliver the same across all vehicles even if it supports the platform.
    I looked into the supported vehicles list and 2001 cobra is supported with the MPVI2 interface only(at this time)
    Last edited by dave89iroc; 08-07-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Whats the Tear Tag on the 2001 Puter???

I have a engineering unlocked NGS with a unlocked VCM, depending on year of vehicle i can probably shut off PATS, but it needs to be in a vehicle
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    I looked into the supported vehicles list and 2001 cobra is supported with the MPVI2 interface only(at this time)
    I couldn't find that listed, do you have a link? I tried the supported list page, but I might have overlooked it?

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    I couldn't find that listed, do you have a link? I tried the supported list page, but I might have overlooked it?
    https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

scroll down to ford(first red listing), scroll down to mustang(alphabetical order, a ways down), has a (2) footnote, go all the way back up and it says supported with the MVPI2 interface only
    ASE Master Certified Technician

I have not been in the garage since this weekend so I don't have the info from the other PCM. I'll try to snap a picture later. I did buy an 80mm MAF to replace the 90mm that is on there currently.

I was finally able to get a scan tool connected to the DLC (I was fighting a low voltage issue that was not fully powering up the scan tool)

Here is some of the live data of the setup that has been running poorly since last year:
    795RPM
    Load 10% at idle 0% KOEO
    ECT 79*F
    Short Term Fuel Trim1: -1.6-3%
    Long Term Fuel Trim1: 23%
    Short Term Fuel Trim2: -0.8-1.6%
    Long Term Fuel Trim2: 25%
    Spark Advance 12-20* KOER 10*KOEO
    IAT 97*F
    MAF 0.11 @idle
    Throttle Pos 18.4% @idle
    O2S11 0.025v-0.7v (stayed close to 0.7v after running for a while)
    Short Term Fuel Trim11: -2.3-0
    O2S21 0.390v-0.760v (stayed close to 0.7v after running for a while)
    Short Term Fuel Trim21: -0.8-2.3
    Fuel Pressure Regulator 537 kpa (not running stock fuel pressure regulator. Running Aeromotive rails and FPR)

I have a battery quick disconnect that I would open after every use of the truck. After leaving it connected for extended periods, I did notice that the truck does start much better (I understand that it was clearing out its learned settings by doing so, but it was extremely tough to start prior to that).

I am currently checking cam timing to ensure the chains didn't stretch. I did not degree the cams with a degree wheel when I assembled the engine. I did follow the Ford service procedure (dot to dot alignment).

About the truck/build
    Stock 1999 Cobra 4v engine rebuilt.
    New Kellogg 8-bolt crank, stock rods, oversized flattop pistons from boring. Stock C-heads and cams. Teksid block
    JLT cold-air intake, modified to fit in engine bay
    BBK twin 65 powerplus throttle body
    stock 24lb injectors
    Aeromotive fuel rails
    Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator (with boost reference port) set to 40 PSI. Verified constant 40 PSI during all running conditions
    -8 fuel lines

Tremec T3650 5-speed
    Explorer 8.8 rear axle w/3.73 gear

Ron Francis stand-alone harness
    2003 Cobra PCM modified for Diablo Sport chip (chip currently removed due to crank-no-start)

To-do:
    Check spark plug condition
    Check timing chain/condition
    Check fuel injectors for leaks (need to figure out a way to flow test these at home)
    Compression test
    Check throttle body blade set screw (per BBK 0.010 feeler gauge then 1 turn in)
    Check IAC-seems to be free moving, not sure if this is causing high idle issue.

Recently completed:
    Adjusted TPS 0.9v closed
    Replaced spark plugs (runs slightly better)
    Last edited by mustangmike6996; 08-10-2018 at 09:08 PM.

It looks like I might have 2 different intake cams... Still doing research. Pass side is the stock 1999 NA cam. The left looks like it might be a 2003/2004 blower cam. Close to each other but grind specs are slightly different.

Another update...

Still unsure of the left intake cam, the engineering number (essentially a part number) is YF3E-6A271-BA. Ford made grind changes on the 4V intake cams from the Cobra B or C head, Mach1,Lincoln, Terminator. This has the beginning number of an exhaust cam but the 271 indicates left intake position. I ran out of energy to keep searching for the part number and buttoned the engine back up. I put the new 80mm MAF on (removed the 90). Fired it up, it runs very strong. It's crazy fast now, almost scary. I still need to put the correct PCM in, and I'll eventually do cams. I'll prob have to rebuild the trans sooner than I intended haha

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

scroll down to ford(first red listing), scroll down to mustang(alphabetical order, a ways down), has a (2) footnote, go all the way back up and it says supported with the MVPI2 interface only

That blows. the MPVI2 is another cost factor & they're on backorder from what I am finding. Not that I have a need for it though.

Thread Information