Thread: Paging Tin & other PC tech gurus

Default Paging Tin & other PC tech gurus

Need to get a new graphics card for my current desktop to be able to view/edit 1080p/4K videos that I’ve been recording with my drone. I don’t do any gaming.

Here’s my current hardware running windows 10 pro 64 bit:

CPU- intel core 2 quad q9550 @2.83hz
    RAM- 8GB dual channel ddr2 @400mhz
    Board: gigabyte EP45-UD3R (socket 775)
    My current graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 4800 which they don’t have updated windows 10 drivers

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have a look and see where you fit in
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html
    Last edited by Rumblestrip; 08-14-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Even your MOBO is a bit dated for Windows 10. How much money do you want to spend, and based on your current specs I assuming you aren't looking for top tier stuff, you just want to get the job done even if it takes a little longer?
    '18 Regal GS

Do you already have a Windows 10 key? Or is it installed on your hard drive already and just not working well? If you want cheap and can reuse your hard drive, case and power supply, this gets you at least updated from where you're at for cheap: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q2qwyX Plenty of room for improvement, but it's a starting point.
    '18 Regal GS

Forum Member

I'd say its time for you to update more than just the graphics card if you want to edit 4k video.

The build above looks good or if you want to spend more. AMD Ryzen 1600x, 16gb ram, RX 580 8gb graphics card, decent PSU. Probably will end up around $1k all said and done and be good for years to come.

I have a build with the same processor and graphics card below. Its a huge improvement over the AMD Phenom X4 I came from. I kept a PC alive that I originally built in 07-08 for way too long. Im glad I spent the money and built something new.

Not saying you need something like this to do what you want. You could always buy a referb or used Dell Optiplex off eBay and throw in a decent graphics card; it'll do what you need it to do for less.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4GVmq
    Last edited by 93 saturn sl2; 08-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member

That motherboard has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for the video card, so any compatible card should work, however there's no such thing (to my knowledge) as a PCIe 2.0 x16 card that supports 4K output. All 4k+ cards are PCIe 3.0. And even if you could find one, it'd likely be $100 or more, and you'd be further ahead just swapping out the MB/CPU/RAM for an Intel Core i5/7 K processor that supports 4K output on CPU - no videocard needed.

Also keep in mind, you'd need a 4k monitor for a 4k videocard to be of any use.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Got some thinking to do.

Thread Information