Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 College Football Thread

Pisses excellence cASe SenSiTive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    For those who keep pointing out that Michigan hasn't won a road game. It's not as common as your point implies. Stealing this from another forum:

To follow-up on my hit post below, I wanted to present a little more info that shows how rare a major win over a ranked opponent truly is for most teams. I looked at our main rivals in chasing Ohio State (as they were going to be the obvious outlier) to see how they had fared since 2007 against teams that finished the season ranked.
    Michigan State: 2-11
    Michigan State's two wins both came in 2015. One, as we all know, came after one of the luckiest plays in college football history went their way against Michigan. The other was against Ohio State when Urban Meyer decided that Ezekiel Elliot was not good at football for a night.
    Penn State: 3-15
    Had one truly impressive road win: 2008 against a good Ohio State team 13-6. They beat Northwestern in 2017 and surprised Wisconsin in 2013.
    Wisconsin: 0-12
    Wisconsin has not beaten a single team that finished the season ranked on the road since 2007.

That's great. But Michigan is allegedly trying to compete with elite teams, like Ohio State, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, etc.. How are OSU and Bama's record against ranked opponents on the road over that time-frame?

Ryan, this is utter garbage. In 2015, MSU beat UM and Ohio State. In 2016, MSU beat Notre Dame and lost to Penn State. Last year, MSU beat Michigan and lost to Ohio State. Going back to 2012, the Spartans are 5-4 against ranked teams on the road. Everything on the internet is not true...

For those who keep pointing out that Michigan hasn't won a road game. It's not as common as your point implies. Stealing this from another forum:

To follow-up on my hit post below, I wanted to present a little more info that shows how rare a major win over a ranked opponent truly is for most teams. I looked at our main rivals in chasing Ohio State (as they were going to be the obvious outlier) to see how they had fared since 2007 against teams that finished the season ranked.
    Michigan State: 2-11
    Michigan State's two wins both came in 2015. One, as we all know, came after one of the luckiest plays in college football history went their way against Michigan. The other was against Ohio State when Urban Meyer decided that Ezekiel Elliot was not good at football for a night.
    Penn State: 3-15
    Had one truly impressive road win: 2008 against a good Ohio State team 13-6. They beat Northwestern in 2017 and surprised Wisconsin in 2013.
    Wisconsin: 0-12
    Wisconsin has not beaten a single team that finished the season ranked on the road since 2007.

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Notre Dame in 2016 went 4 - 8. 2017 Michigan ended the year unranked. Just because they were ranked when they played doesn't mean they were a good team, hence the final outcome.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Notre Dame in 2016 went 4 - 8. 2017 Michigan ended the year unranked. Just because they were ranked when they played doesn't mean they were a good team, hence the final outcome.
    That's a cop out. Michigan hasn't beaten ANY team ranked on the road since 2006. ANY TEAM. Don't give me the excuse "Well, Notre Dame sucked". That sounds like a Michigan excuse. Take out 2016 and MSU is 4-3. What excuse now? And if Michigan was ranked halfway thru the year, and YOUR coach threw (literally) the game away and fell apart after that, that's MSU's fault? Listen Polly Prissy Pants, if the team has a number next to it, it counts. You can whine all you want, but you're getting 2 games to get of the schnide. Think Captain Khaki can will a game that matters this year?

So what you're saying is that your ability to win against ranked teams on the road is the opposing teams skill, not your own teams. If you look at end of the season rankings, it matters. Rewriting history to seem favorable doesn't help your point.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T

Arizona State.

Pisses excellence cASe SenSiTive's Avatar

FSU 59, Findlay 13

Jayru Campbell is the best QB in the state.

EMU beat Purdue in Indiana. Kentucky beat Florida. A&M came close to beating Clemson. Fun weekend of football.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

I've been out of town for a couple weeks. I didn't have my computer with me.

1) MSU at Arizona State - This game sucked! Stayed up late to get jerked around. MSU played another sloppy game and choked the game away. Seeing San Diego State beat ASU last week doesn't make me feel any better.

2) Michigan did what it had to do over the last two weeks. I don't think those games tell you anything about what type of team Michigan has. I don't think the game against Nebraska will reveal anything either.

3) MSU vs Indiana - This game scares the shit out of me. Lose this game and MSU can cash in it's chips. And I hope this is the last night game for MSU this season. I'm too old. Late night Saturdays suck.

I think the Nebraska game will be closer than many think it will. Troy is a very good team and Nebraska was playing with some unproven talent due to injuries. It helps that it's at Michigan, but I think it's going to be a close game. While Michigan did check the box on doing what they were supposed to, it did show that the offense under Shea is adequate. Every week they should get better. This team reminds me of the 2016 team more and more.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T

Thread Information