Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 College Football Thread

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

I think Patterson looked OK. Not great, but he likely would have performed much better against say a Utah State or Oregon State...

It’s clear that the offensive line and the run game are both still going to struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Pisses excellence cASe SenSiTive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    I think Patterson looked OK. Not great, but he likely would have performed much better against say a Utah State or Oregon State...

It’s clear that the offensive line and the run game are both still going to struggle.

I mean, yeah, he would have performed better against a shitty team instead of a good one. What the hell does that mean? Captain Khaki-pants is supposed to be a QB guru, and hasn't been able to do shit for four years at Michigan. He Lucked (pun intended) into a generational QB while at Stanford, and he caught lightning in a bottle for one season in SanFran with Kaepernick and an absolutely loaded team. I think he's all hype. I'd like to see him win, but I don't have any confidence he will.

On the positive side, my alma mater Ferris State, opened the season with a monster 49-17 win over East Stroudsberg.

Quote Originally Posted by cASe SenSiTive View Post
    I mean, yeah, he would have performed better against a shitty team instead of a good one. What the hell does that mean? Captain Khaki-pants is supposed to be a QB guru, and hasn't been able to do shit for four years at Michigan. He Lucked (pun intended) into a generational QB while at Stanford, and he caught lightning in a bottle for one season in SanFran with Kaepernick and an absolutely loaded team. I think he's all hype. I'd like to see him win, but I don't have any confidence he will.
    I think Patterson is a completely different QB than he’s had in previous years. Yeah, there is progress to be made, growing pains, whatever but having seen the way he moves in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield during scrambles... for lack of a better description, he can do two things at once and that hasn’t existed with Speight, O’Korn etc... those guys, once they were under pressure it was pure survival or just chuck it up mode.

1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

I think Patterson is a completely different QB than he’s had in previous years. Yeah, there is progress to be made, growing pains, whatever but having seen the way he moves in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield during scrambles... for lack of a better description, he can do two things at once and that hasn’t existed with Speight, O’Korn etc... those guys, once they were under pressure it was pure survival or just chuck it up mode.

But again, if Harbaugh is such a good coach, who is so good at working with QBs, there shouldn't be "growing pains" with a junior transfer that has been with the team all off-season.

Of course they aren't going to struggle against cupcakes, but is that where you're at? Ok with losing to ND, South Carolina, Ohio State and Wisc (to name the last four games) as long as we beat cupcakes?

I don't think Patterson is the problem here at all. It was the offensive line and the coaching. No wonder O'Korn and Speight left town.

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post

Of course they aren't going to struggle against cupcakes, but is that where you're at? Ok with losing to ND, South Carolina, Ohio State and Wisc (to name the last four games) as long as we beat cupcakes?

I don't think Patterson is the problem here at all. It was the offensive line and the coaching. No wonder O'Korn and Speight left town.
    Nope, not at all OK with losing to ND, WI, MSU or OSU. In my mind, a successful season is beating 3 out of the 4...

PS. O’Korn graduated

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Justin has his hair on fire about this. While I'm not happy with the current state, I have a couple of hot takes that to me are relevant.
    1. Remember where we were. Even under Carr our performance had graduated to the mean of a 9 or 10 win season. My problem was the avoidable way in which we'd lose. The handling of his replacement falls on the AD at the time, but it's not relevant to the hot takes. If you take into consideration where we were with a realistic expectation, then we're right at or slightly ahead in some of our goals. This doesn't mean we are perfect, but it doesn't mean Harbaugh should be on the hot seat after 1 game into the season or that we should be lighting our hair on fire just yet. Remember, we were one fluke play in his first year from making the B1G tournament. Fluke plays happen yadda yadda yadda. But considering where we were the year before, there's no question he over-exceeded expectations. Then we lost a ton of talent to the Draft and graduation. Year 2 was the Speight show till he got bent in half. He never recovered which left us year 3 with a broken QB, a washed up QB from down south, and a QB who never saw the field. All of which were again hurt or performed to the expected level. The outcome was predicted by most as an 8 or 9 win season, which it was. This year, we're starting with a new QB again. Everything to this point has been a late buy in via transfer, or a Brady Hoke QB. Maybe, our problem is that Brady sucked at assessing QB talent. I saw Mcafferty out there and he looked good, poised, precised. Green for sure, but he looked good. That's a Harbaugh recruit.

2. This season is reminding me of Harbaughs first. Short of the curb stomping OSU put on us, we were a great team that year that lost on a once in a lifetime fluke play. Still a loss, but it was a good year. A new transfer QB worked to get up to speed and did it well. Now if we get to the end of this season and we've lost to PSU, WI, MSU, and OSU, then by all means let's start the seat heater. Otherwise, settle down. There's reasons we are the way we are today and it's not going to be fixed overnight. Lighting our hair on fire isn't helping anything till it's proven that he's a problem.

That said, there are areas of concern for me. His holding onto Pep Hamilton this year is a problem. The O-Line recruiting is a problem (And direct cause of some of our problems), Playcalling has been predictable (problem I had with Carr, though more on the defensive side).
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Since the Khaki Master came back to Ann Arbor I've not really been impressed with his coaching. Both losses to MSU came down to coaching. The botched punt had two gunners on the outside with no one back for MSU. The should have been blocking. Last year Michigan kept trying to throw down field in a monsoon during the 3rd quarter and they were picked of a couple times. MSU just ran the ball and it was field position that won the game. U-M should be 3-0 against MSU and is 1-2 instead.

And I can't help myself...

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

For those who keep pointing out that Michigan hasn't won a road game. It's not as common as your point implies. Stealing this from another forum:

To follow-up on my hit post below, I wanted to present a little more info that shows how rare a major win over a ranked opponent truly is for most teams. I looked at our main rivals in chasing Ohio State (as they were going to be the obvious outlier) to see how they had fared since 2007 against teams that finished the season ranked.
    Michigan State: 2-11
    Michigan State's two wins both came in 2015. One, as we all know, came after one of the luckiest plays in college football history went their way against Michigan. The other was against Ohio State when Urban Meyer decided that Ezekiel Elliot was not good at football for a night.
    Penn State: 3-15
    Had one truly impressive road win: 2008 against a good Ohio State team 13-6. They beat Northwestern in 2017 and surprised Wisconsin in 2013.
    Wisconsin: 0-12
    Wisconsin has not beaten a single team that finished the season ranked on the road since 2007.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Thread Information