Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: road workers' labor stoppage

Quote Originally Posted by DeFormula View Post
    At many companies when you don't show up for work they fire ya....just sayin.

But when your working without a contract, and the state isn’t negotiating in good faith as they should.... fuck em

Forum Member

MICHIGAN (WJRT) (9/4/2018) - Tuesday was a beautiful, sunny day, but no road crews were out. The Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association, MITA, locked out the unions at 7 a.m.

Executive Vice President Mike Nystrom said the contract with Operating Engineers Local 324 expired June 1st and they have yet to agree on a new contract.

"The union has refused; and since then, has engaged in disruptive and coercive tactics to pressure the industry into considering their own self authored contract," he explained.

Operating Engineers Local 324 Communications Director, Dan McKernan, said, "In short, MITA wants to be responsible for setting the terms for all roadwork in the state when it comes to operating engineers and that's not gonna abide by us anymore."

MITA represents more than 500 construction companies across the state. Nystrom expected this lockout will halt more than 80-percent of the state's current road projects.

Crews said this couldn't be a worse time because this is busy season. They're typically working 7 day weeks.
    The union said they've been working all summer without a contract just fine, so they're disappointed with MITA's move to lock them out.

MITA explained the economic package they've offered has been more than fair. offering workers a 14-percent increase in pay over 5 years.

Craig Hobbs, a union member who works for Ajax Paving in metro Detroit, called the lockout frustrating, especially because he won't get a paycheck during this time and can't file for unemployment, per state law.

"My son owns a detail shop. I'm gonna be washing cars," he said. "My friend, he's gonna be working at his uncle's, you know, people are gonna be flipping pizzas and things like that, when normally, we're sitting on equipment making good money and we're all trying to figure out where our next paycheck is coming from."

MDOT is not a part of these negotiations, but said they do require contractors to keep construction zones safe for you to drive near and through during the lockout.

Again, it's not clear how long it'll last.

Forum Member

Does this mean I can just hop over to Hamlin westbound and utilize my 4wd since it's not an active construction site?

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    I work in southeast Michigan and i am so used to the construction that I dont even notice it anymore, lol
    Fixed

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

WARREN, Mich. - After a 21-day work stoppage on Michigan construction projects, road builders say they're restarting construction with non-union equipment operators.

The announcement came Tuesday after talks with Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder fell apart.
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Question

Where do I apply?

15.00/hr?

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    15.00/hr?
    I’d bet.

Unskilled Labor hourly rate!

What do you think those operating engineers running the big tonka trucks make? $40/hour?

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    What do you think those operating engineers running the big tonka trucks make? $40/hour?

-Geoff
    Not even close, around $30, the ones who run the cranes make more, roughly $36 an hour.

Thread Information