Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: road workers' labor stoppage

Just remember you get what you pay for......... no love here for them scabs, if they were that great at what they do they wouldn’t have to leave their home state to make non union wages.
    Last edited by mikesfastss; 09-26-2018 at 05:45 AM.

so the whole get what you pay for, did that happen with car industry? with the lower wages???
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    so the whole get what you pay for, did that happen with car industry? with the lower wages???
    Paying all these people/companies good money for decades, and roads fall apart a short time later and everyone goes "oops, oh well. We will just have to redo them again." We havent been getting what we've paying for this whole time. We wont be any worse this way. The only thing I read was they were holding up the contract from a pay dispute. They were offered in think 15% raises over 5 or 7 years. So a guaranteed 2-3% increase each year no matter what, and they said it was not enough. Around my shop people who stand around and do minimal work bitch about not getting raises. People like me that show up early and work all day dont have to ask. Raises just appear in my check annually. If everyone at my shop all got the a raise, or the same raise every year I'd be pissed and my attitude would turn to shit. I'd either quit or turn into one of them and stop working since we would all be treated and compensated the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Just remember you get what you pay for......... no love here for them scabs, if they were that great at what they do they wouldn’t have to leave their home state to make non union wages.
    Ive done nothing but make more and more money after leaving the UAW. The entire time i worked for GM I have met maybe 3 actual skilled tradesmen. And they were NOT taught by gm/uaw. They had 10-20yrs in elsewhere like GE or general dynamics. They stood out from everyone else becasue their work ethic, attitude, and obvious skill set. Inhave zero love for union/uaw. We have guys come in once in a while to weld or fit who are experts "I know what I'm doing I've been doing it my whole life." "I was trained and learned the right way. From journeyman union worker." These 2 sentences have never made us laugh so hard. We know what to expect from their tests before they even take them. Then absolute saddest part is they truly believe they are top level at their trade and really know what they are doing. They were taught wrong, coddled, and praised for doing a bad job their entire career so its ingrained in them that what they are doing is good and correct. They cant find employment outside the UAW. This isnt ment to be an attack on you personally. I'm just mad everytime I think of working for the UAW for years.

How are these guys scabs? I thought the union was locked out? They seem like they want to go back to work but the intermediary won't let them. I thought the problem was with that middleman who was supposed to make it easier for the contractors. I don't understand why the union guys can't go back - does the intermediary own all the equipment or something? Why aren't the unions just talking to the contractors?

This whole thing is a broken mess, that's for sure.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 09-26-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    we aren’t taking about the auto industry, we are talking about heavy equipment operators who were trained to operate said equipment in a safe and proper manner and who work about 7 months out of the year due to the weather, they get no vacation time, they get no extra unemployment when there off for the winter months, do you think the companies they work for are gonna drop there prices if the employees take a pay cut? I didn’t think so. Has the auto industry dropped their prices since hiring tier two employees? If it worked out so great for the auto industry why did they agree to get rid of the tier system? Why do they have such a huge problem keeping new hire employees that leave to work at Costco for more money?

Sure glad I don't have to deal with the mound rd and van dyke rd route to work anymore, with this work stoppage.....sorry for those still heading to tech center and arsenal
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Geoff, they are gonna man the jobs with non union employees from all over the country and are gonna pay them much less then the union employees all while keeping the negotiating stalled so the company can make more profits, remember guys it takes two to negotiate not just one.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    Ive done nothing but make more and more money after leaving the UAW. The entire time i worked for GM I have met maybe 3 actual skilled tradesmen. And they were NOT taught by gm/uaw. They had 10-20yrs in elsewhere like GE or general dynamics. They stood out from everyone else becasue their work ethic, attitude, and obvious skill set. Inhave zero love for union/uaw. We have guys come in once in a while to weld or fit who are experts "I know what I'm doing I've been doing it my whole life." "I was trained and learned the right way. From journeyman union worker." These 2 sentences have never made us laugh so hard. We know what to expect from their tests before they even take them. Then absolute saddest part is they truly believe they are top level at their trade and really know what they are doing. They were taught wrong, coddled, and praised for doing a bad job their entire career so its ingrained in them that what they are doing is good and correct. They cant find employment outside the UAW. This isnt ment to be an attack on you personally. I'm just mad everytime I think of working for the UAW for years.
    i completely understand what your saying, I came from the building trades ( a millwright from local 1102) and after some years I went in house at a gm plant and I will say it’s a night and day difference. In the building trades we were trained to get in and get it done and move on. Not so much in the Uaw. I don’t think union jobs are for everyone by any means, what irritates me is buys think because we’re union employees were not allowed to ask for a raise or better benefits etc.

Geoff, they are gonna man the jobs with non union employees from all over the country and are gonna pay them much less then the union employees all while keeping the negotiating stalled so the company can make more profits, remember guys it takes two to negotiate not just one.
    They have to pay "Prevailing Wage", it is the law in Michigan. The narrative that they are going to pay less is just wrong. As far as I read, the union was fine working without a contract, but they got locked out. I fail to see who the bad guy is here, other than the system.

There is some funny business going on here that nobody is talking about. Why isn't the union negotiating with the contractors directly if that is what they wanted? What is stopping them?

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Thread Information