Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: road workers' labor stoppage

Forum Member

(WXYZ) - Governor Snyder announced that the labor impasse has been resolved and work on road projects will begin immediately.

MITA and OE 324 agreed to continue working without a contract through the 2018 construction season.

“This is great news and I appreciate that both sides were able to see how important the work they do is to the safety and quality of life for all Michiganders,” Snyder said. “The vital work of getting Michigan’s roads repaired should not have stalled, but the important thing now is that projects will be getting back on track. A long-term solution to the contract negotiations still needs to be worked out, but that can and should be done after this construction season is completed.”

Both the Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association and Operating Engineers 324 reached a short-term solution with Snyder.

Details of the agreement include:

-MITA will end the lockout on all projects.
    -The Operating Engineers will have their workers report to work immediately.
    -The priority for work will be for projects that can be completed prior to significant winter weather arriving.
    -Other projects will continue for as long as possible, including work to prepare them for safe winter travel if they cannot be completed.
    -Contractors and OE 324 will use professional mediation through the winter to help them with negotiations for a new contract.

“I understand the frustration this has caused but our association has an important responsibility to our members who are committed to doing the best work they can to build and maintain Michigan’s infrastructure on behalf of taxpayers,” said Mike Nystrom, Executive Vice President and Secretary of MITA. “We appreciate the Governor’s commitment to resolving this issue in a satisfactory manner for both sides so we can get these road projects underway again. Our members will work with MDOT to get things wrapped up as quickly as possible and get lanes open again for motorists.”

“Our members are ready to get back on their machines and get these projects done across the state — and look forward to working again as soon as we can,” said Ken Dombrow, President of OE324. “We still have issues to work out and will represent the best interests of our members throughout those negotiations, as we always have. We appreciate Gov. Snyder’s willingness to not take sides and to remain focused on finding a way to get the work done. The operating engineers of Michigan have an important job to do and we’re happy that now they can start doing it again.”

So it took someone else willing to do the job, before these companies came running back like a 3 year old seeing someone else playing with their toys?

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    So it took someone else willing to do the job, before these companies came running back like a 3 year old seeing someone else playing with their toys?
    It is amazing what happens when someone sees their job posted online.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

MITA jobs were not posted anywhere.

MITA Locked out the Union.

UNION has been working without a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    MITA jobs were not posted anywhere.

MITA Locked out the Union.

UNION has been working without a contract.
    According to Channel 7, jobs were posted on huffmaster.com - a company specializing in strike management solutions. They were working, and are going back to work without a contract. That will give MITA time to line up non-union labor for next year.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Forum Member

MITA Announces Agreement to Restart Road Work
    Construction to Resume Immediately
    This statement is from Mike Nystrom, executive vice president of the Michigan Infrastructure
    and Transportation Association (MITA). Nystrom is commenting on an agreement to restart
    road work after a defensive lockout on Sept. 4 halted projects across the state. On June 1, the
    contract between MITA member companies and Operating Engineers, Local 324 expired.
    LANSING, Mich. – “Construction will resume immediately. I want to thank Gov. Rick Snyder for
    his assistance and leadership throughout this process. Our contractors have heard the message
    from the governor and understand the moral obligation to put this dispute aside in an effort to
    finish a number of stalled road projects across the state to protect the driving public and assist
    businesses affected by these projects. The trigger that ended this lock out for the contractors
    was the fact that OE 324 agreed to mediation this winter. Contractors and OE 324 will use
    professional mediation through the winter to help them with negotiations for a new contract.
    The immediate priority will be projects that can be completed prior to the arrival of significant
    winter weather. Other projects will continue for as long as possible, including preparing them
    for safe winter travel if they cannot be completed. Both sides have agreed to work together
    without disruption to get as much work done as possible.”

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    According to Channel 7, jobs were posted on huffmaster.com - a company specializing in strike management solutions. They were working, and are going back to work without a contract. That will give MITA time to line up non-union labor for next year.

-Geoff
    Labor jobs posted
    Not MITA

-Other projects will continue for as long as possible, including work to prepare them for safe winter travel if they cannot be completed.
    Drifting thru barrels & rubble ought to be fun...

Forum Member

There were two accidents in the two mile long construction zone on east bound I-69 today alone. They need to get that work done ASAP.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Just remember you get what you pay for......... no love here for them scabs, if they were that great at what they do they wouldn’t have to leave their home state to make non union wages.
    I joined 324 for 2 years, you know what it got me?
    Made a 1/3 less then what I do now... had to pay my own insurance some months cause the company skipped the payments... if you don't personally know OR kiss up to a foreman, your not getting over time..
    Complained about a raise that I didn't get to a Union rep and had the company supervisor drive out to our job site in Landsing JUST to chew me out about talk to those guys....
    Been running construction equipment for over 25 years and I can literally run circles around some of those clowns at 324....and by the way 324 has $20,000 of mine that they refuse to give me... Fuck 324 and fuck MITA they new the work stoppage was gonna happen in the middle of all these projects and they tried to piss off the commuters and use it as their bargaining chip.
    SAL

Thread Information