Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garage Builder

Club Member

Default Garage Builder

I want a large shed/small garage built in my yard. Does anyone know someone who is reliable and good? I need everything, including cement.

I am in Troy.....Gary

Forum Member

Maybe a stupid question, but can you even do that in Troy? I'm sure that there are differences in the areas even within Troy, just curious.

They were a bit expensive when I was getting mine quoted, but Miller Garages offer turnkey garages and sheds including cement. I ended up subbing it out myself, and Sal did most of the work...

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sofa king View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but can you even do that in Troy? I'm sure that there are differences in the areas even within Troy, just curious.
    Yeah, I can build another garage, no big deal. Just can't build a 2 story, 5000 Sq ft one anymore.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    They were a bit expensive when I was getting mine quoted, but Miller Garages offer turnkey garages and sheds including cement. I ended up subbing it out myself, and Sal did most of the work...
    I don't mind subbing it out, but where do I start? Meaning, who can I trust anymore? Sal is working for others now...

Chelsea lumber sells kits and people to put them up.

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
    I don't mind subbing it out, but where do I start? Meaning, who can I trust anymore? Sal is working for others now...
    I don't even know anymore. I used John's Lumber on Gratiot but last I heard they don't offer the installation anymore (maybe they do now?). I had Sal do Concrete, John's Lumber framed it, I paid the John's guy cash to roof it (he did my house too), then I sided it. I posted up my garage door guy on a previous thread. I had Miller come out and quote mine turnkey and they would have done it but it would have cost me another 20%.

Concrete was almost half the cost too. Not because Sal was expensive, but because when they excavated my garage, the foundation was actually a sistern filled with water and old bricks. Every neighbor was draining into my garage sistern, and there was a french drain spreading it back into the soil. It was crazy. The guy behind me threatened to sue because his back yard started flooding and I just laughed at him.

-Geoff

I don't even know anymore. I used John's Lumber on Gratiot but last I heard they don't offer the installation anymore (maybe they do now?). I had Sal do Concrete, John's Lumber framed it, I paid the John's guy cash to roof it (he did my house too), then I sided it. I posted up my garage door guy on a previous thread. I had Miller come out and quote mine turnkey and they would have done it but it would have cost me another 20%.

Concrete was almost half the cost too. Not because Sal was expensive, but because when they excavated my garage, the foundation was actually a sistern filled with water and old bricks. Every neighbor was draining into my garage sistern, and there was a french drain spreading it back into the soil. It was crazy. The guy behind me threatened to sue because his back yard started flooding and I just laughed at him.

-Geoff

That's pretty crazy.

I have been thinking about building another garage in my backyard. The wife is tossing roadblocks on how big she is "willing" to let me go. I'm pushing for a 3 car or deep 2.5 car (I want a hoist) so 3 car is better for that.

There is a guy around the corner from me who built a large 2 car garage with a middle floor and giant attic. It was taller than the telephone poles (so Id assume 35-40 feet). It sat with no progress for a few months (wood getting soaked with rain water. I see he now has the middle floor removed and is slowly rebuilding. I want to talk to the owner to see how much of a nightmare it was/is.

Forum Member

.....the foundation was actually a sistern filled with water and old bricks. Every neighbor was draining into my garage sistern, and there was a french drain spreading it back into the soil...

-Geoff

This sounds interesting. How old was your house? Any pictures of the drain system?

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2slow View Post
    This sounds interesting. How old was your house? Any pictures of the drain system?
    It was built in 1950. There is a big house behind me that was built in the 1920's and the houses around me are all built on his "Garden". I didn't get any pictures of the cistern. I might have some old snaps of the garage though. There is still a PCV drain in the center of the low spot in my backyard. The French drain works great when all the neighbors aren't draining into my yard! I hardly ever flood.

-Geoff

Thread Information