Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garage Builder

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I don't even know anymore. I used John's Lumber on Gratiot but last I heard they don't offer the installation anymore (maybe they do now?). I had Sal do Concrete, John's Lumber framed it, I paid the John's guy cash to roof it (he did my house too), then I sided it. I posted up my garage door guy on a previous thread. I had Miller come out and quote mine turnkey and they would have done it but it would have cost me another 20%.

Concrete was almost half the cost too. Not because Sal was expensive, but because when they excavated my garage, the foundation was actually a sistern filled with water and old bricks. Every neighbor was draining into my garage sistern, and there was a french drain spreading it back into the soil. It was crazy. The guy behind me threatened to sue because his back yard started flooding and I just laughed at him.

-Geoff
    I'm getting anxiety thinking about that job! I had all those old footings and bricks picked out of the ground... new footings dug, then work stopped for a few weeks cause of the screwed up inspector... THEN torrential rain for 2 weeks which turned your footings into 42" swimming pools that caved in and we had to redig the footings again..... all because of that damn inspector / telephone poles / back yard neighbors.... but after all that I must say you got one the best ass kicking garages!
    SAL

Club Member

Tuff Shed is the only one who has contacted me and I went to their place in R/O. It would be about 10K for a 16 x 24 garage fully constructed on my lot, not including concrete. Their garages are pretty basic, but the 10K includes a roll up door and a side entry door. It has basic trusses, 2x4's on 16" centers, 12" over hang all around and ridge vent. It includes 3 coats of paint and a 10 year warranty, whatever that means. So, with 4K for concrete, it will be less than 15K. Tuff Sheds are built to order in their Livonia factory and finished on your lot in a day, or two.

I am not sure if that is good or not, but is only a little more than what I expected... Does anyone else have a feel for this pricing?

If I were in the market for such build, it would seem fair priced in my opinion. I know that adding on to a garage & a new construction build for a out building is not the same, but if it gives any help to you, I was quoted 25K by a few places to add on roughly that square footage to a 2.5 car garage & I'd bring my own concrete... After some follow-up research as to what I am 'allowed' to have, the local ordinances revealed I'd need a waiver to build. Have not pursued it any further. Kind of sucks that the formula is dated to way back when even tho times have changed... ordinances are outdated

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beigg View Post
    If I were in the market for such build, it would seem fair priced in my opinion. I know that adding on to a garage & a new construction build for a out building is not the same, but if it gives any help to you, I was quoted 25K by a few places to add on roughly that square footage to a 2.5 car garage & I'd bring my own concrete... After some follow-up research as to what I am 'allowed' to have, the local ordinances revealed I'd need a waiver to build. Have not pursued it any further. Kind of sucks that the formula is dated to way back when even tho times have changed... ordinances are outdated
    I built the addition onto my garage with a helper around 1990ish. I was quoted something less than 10K at the time and decided to do it myself. The helper was a friend and licensed builder and I paid him by the hour. I think by the time everything was said and done, I had 6K into it for everything.

Times have changed....grr

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
    Tuff Shed is the only one who has contacted me and I went to their place in R/O. It would be about 10K for a 16 x 24 garage fully constructed on my lot, not including concrete. Their garages are pretty basic, but the 10K includes a roll up door and a side entry door. It has basic trusses, 2x4's on 16" centers, 12" over hang all around and ridge vent. It includes 3 coats of paint and a 10 year warranty, whatever that means. So, with 4K for concrete, it will be less than 15K. Tuff Sheds are built to order in their Livonia factory and finished on your lot in a day, or two.

I am not sure if that is good or not, but is only a little more than what I expected... Does anyone else have a feel for this pricing?
    A coworker of mine has had several experiences with Tuff shed and had always been pleased with the build quality. His have all been roughly 10x12s though.

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post

I've been looking into this for the past 2 years. This does not seem to be a bad deal. Hopefully it is quality.

Seems like a fair price to me. You will probably pay that much in concrete too. I built my garage five years ago - 40 x 28, it was $6000 in lumber, and I paid Johns $5000 to frame it. Didn't include doors, roofing, or siding.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Seems like a fair price to me. You will probably pay that much in concrete too. I built my garage five years ago - 40 x 28, it was $6000 in lumber, and I paid Johns $5000 to frame it. Didn't include doors, roofing, or siding.

-Geoff
    He will only have to do 2ft deep rat walls 8 inches wide unless his city code is much different then mine. That's 4.2 yards at 130 a yard. 16x24 at 4 inch thick is 4.7 yards. I dont remeber if the cement for flat work was more or less money then a footing mix. Say it's also 130. He will only have 9yds @$130 a yard for $1,170 plus rebar. Sp a little over $1,200 in material for rat wall and floor. I cant speak on the labor portion though. Shouldnt be too much though.

that is good knowledge ^

This thread makes me want to revisit adding on to the existing structure.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    He will only have to do 2ft deep rat walls 8 inches wide unless his city code is much different then mine. That's 4.2 yards at 130 a yard. 16x24 at 4 inch thick is 4.7 yards. I don't remember if the cement for flat work was more or less money then a footing mix. Say it's also 130. He will only have 9yds @$130 a yard for $1,170 plus rebar. Sp a little over $1,200 in material for rat wall and floor. I cant speak on the labor portion though. Shouldn't be too much though.
    I checked and Troy is 24" deep x 4" wide....I've gotten 2 quoted and they both came in at 4K.

grr

Thread Information