Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basement crack repair around Bloomfield Township suggestions for a co-worker

Elected Club Official

Default Basement crack repair around Bloomfield Township suggestions for a co-worker

I know nothing is cheap about the process but he's been getting quotes all over the place. Patching the inside isn't the permanent fix and wants to do it right. Anybody here do this or suggestions?

Move while they can.

The correct way isn’t cheap.

The “proper way” is to set anchors out on in the yard. Insert threaded rods/ turn buckles.
    Steel plates on the basement walls. Steel anchor plates in the yard. Tighten till crack is closed and sealed.

Sometimes that don’t work, and or it causes stress in other parts of the house. Plaster walls will pop out. Etc.
    if it fails, you don’t get refunded and now you get to pay to have that wall replaced.

Happed to a house I was looking at. Ended up knowing the guy that built the new “Money Pit” owners barn, that they lived in while the wall was being replaced!

Elected Club Official

Well they aren't moving soooo.

If water is causing the cracks, regrade the land above it to stop the water, then I would just patch it. If you don't know what is causing it though, time to get a back hoe. That is the only way to do it right.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Elected Club Official

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    If water is causing the cracks, regrade the land above it to stop the water, then I would just patch it. If you don't know what is causing it though, time to get a back hoe. That is the only way to do it right.

-Geoff
    I agree and that's what he wants to do versus just fixing the inside. That's why I was asking for referrals since he doesn't want just a quick fix.

Johnny quick?

I re graded and the problem solved it self. After that I injected all the cracks with a polyurathane liquid that expands just because. No problems in last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CMYZ28 View Post
    I agree and that's what he wants to do versus just fixing the inside. That's why I was asking for referrals since he doesn't want just a quick fix.
    If it is water, it should be easy to tell by two things - the grading of the land around the house, and water coming through the cracks or up through the floor. If he needs to get re-graded, I would get one of the big sod farms from up north. I used one called something like A1 Trombley and they came all the way down to Grosse Pointe with 20 yards of topsoil, 40 yards of dirty fill ,a tractor, and a ton of sod for what I thought was a crazy cheap price (like $100 a square), That was 8 years ago, so it shouldn't have gone up by much.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Cracks in the floor or in the wall?

I had cracks in the wall so I used high pressure epoxy injection. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dggJsJ2f1dU

I paid roughly $250 a crack.
    93 Mustang
    87 GN

Elected Club Official

One big vertical one on the wall

Thread Information