Thread: GM 4.8L V8 lifters

Default GM 4.8L V8 lifters

Did the 4.8L receive the AFM that the 5.3 is plagued with? More specifically, this is regarding a 2011 4.8L. I've looked online to see if there's an AFM lifter assembly, but all I am coming up with are non AFM sets. Would like to know before disassembling a 4.8L so the right parts are on hand. I know the 5.3's started after 2010 to have AFM, but no where does it say if the 4.8 adopted the infamous feature.

If the 4.8L never had AFM, does it still use the bucket style lifter housing that requires the head to be removed? Wondering if the valve cover & the rockers will only need to be removed to pull lifters?
    Should the 4.8 not contain the cumbersome parts, I should be good to just order the valve cover gasket set & lifter set, correct?

Thank you for reading.

all gen3(ls Based) the heads have to come off to get to the lifter. I dont believe they ever made a DOD 4.8
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 09-30-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Had a feeling it was no different of a process. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Hope to not find a broken spring..

Cam was salvageable, the lifters must've taken most of the impact. No broken springs and each chamber was good.

Thread Information