Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumped on power steering problem.

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Default Stumped on power steering problem.

I had this cooler laying around.

Its a Rolls Royce with a Dodge Viper V10 in a 2nd gen camaro frame with a Saginaw AGR power steering box.

I plumbed it in the return line with 3/8 tubing. The high pressure line is 8AN

I tried 3 pumps and they are all super noisy and blow power steering fluid out of the vented cap.

I see a lot of the coolers use the tube and fin style and not the reservoir style. Is that what's causing the problem?

Do I need to change the pressure valve in the pump?

I'm stumped.

Sorry do not know the answer to your issue but that combo Rolls. Viper V10 on F-Body chassis is sweet.. Did you put that together?
    ****MATT*****

I heard about this car elsewhere online and it sounds really cool. I was hoping you’d make a thread here with some photos when you have a moment.
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible
    2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    We have become a country afraid to celebrate our American pride because the immigrants and whiners that complain. We as a nation should embrace our country. Those that don't like it GET THE F*CK OUT!

I had to read the first line a few times. That's a hell of a combo.

-8 is pretty large comapred to the 3/8 ID return. There is possibly a pressure buildup due to the size bottleneck.

If you have a 1/2" hose, try running that as a return or possibly using a smaller supply line?

It's tough to give a definite answer with pressure readings. The pump could be fine but the pressure valve could be sticking causing the issue. How long does it take to blow fluid thru out? Does it do it at idle in the resting position or just in turns? Is the pulley correct?

I'm just throwing ideas out.

Not sure if it’s true or not but I was once told there are differences in power steering pumps for rack and pinions and gear boxes.

What an awesome problem to have! and here I sit just playing with old foxbodies.

Club Member

The racks take less pressure than the conventional style do. You can use the style cooler you have, just make absolutely sure it is on the low pressure side. It sounds like you have it on the high pressure side of the pump. It sounds like there may be a restriction somewhere. Double check the cooled to assure it isn't clogged with bits and pieces or stuff.

If you are initially installing the rack, then make sure you have that plumbed correctly. If it isn't, then the rack will turn all by itself (usually to the left).

Just my .02....grr

In stuff like this, I would try pulling the cooler out and see if it is blowing fluid out the vent without the cooler. Gotta start splitting the dictionary in terms of where the problem lies. I wouldn't put it back in until you solve the problem.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

try using a H3 pump instead of the current one.

is the cooler on the return side?
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Thread Information