Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Tig Welding machine for me

I have been modernizing my welders. I recently bought a Millermatic 252 with an Alumapro push-pull gun and a Multimatic 215 with the TIG kit (I have the TIG kit for sale, I have no need for it). The last thing I need is a modern AC TIG welder. I want to be able to easily weld copper which isn't easy with a small TIG welder.

I have come up with the conclusion of:

Cheap seats: Lincoln Square Wave but really only good for steel and aluminum (~$1600 on perpetual fixed-price sale)
    Fine, way more features, but missing a name in the US: HTP Invertig 221 (~$2400 on sale/Black Friday)
    Need another hole in my pocket: Miller Dynasty 210 DX (~$3400 on rebate/freebies/store cash back).

You're going to end up buying a torch and cables with all of them because I haven't seen any I liked out of the box... so might as well just buy the power source alone if you can.

I am a novice welder on a good day. But if you learn on shit machines in welding in shit conditions when you get a fancy welder everything is easy.
    Last edited by wrath; 10-27-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Forum Member

i have a ahp alphatig along with a handful of buddies, everyone's very happy.
    spent quite a bit of time researching before making my choice between price ,customer service and and reviews, even a few people said they prefer alphatig over this their millers and such.

I don’t know shit about tig welders.

If i was looking to buy one,
    I’d call josh, Dragula and Moneypit Ken. In no particular order. Sorry to anyone not on that list. But those 3 guys are masters

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

For anyone looking, I do have 13 Dynasty 700's at my shop.

The Miller is what I would like, but don’t think I can afford it. The alpha is sold at Home Depot right?

607CF43F-13CB-4EEA-A136-7D36382CCFA3.jpeg

I just want to be able to weld aluminum stuff together and maybe exhaust pipe. Always wanted to make my own aluminum parts.

1986 Mustang GT 412W
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

If Ya Ain't First, Your Last! "Ricky Bobby"

I don't think the Alpha is sold at Home Depot...at least not in stores. And showing not in stock online either.

Everyone I know got it from Amazon. 750 +30 shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStoj View Post
    I had a cheap everlast tig welder, and one of the biggest challenges I had learning was not knowing if the welds I were putting out were bad due to me learning or the lower quality machine.

They all have a crazy warranty, and when mine broke it was a 6 month turnaround time and about $150 in shipping to get it repaired.

Have a Miller dynasty and couldn't be happier with it.

I would recommend trying to find a used Miller dynasty 200, but it is a little more $$$
    I've been welding with an everlast 185DV TIG for about 5 years now. I bought the import machine because I didn't know if I would like TIG welding, well i love it. I picked up TIG welding really easy for some reason; feels natural for me. I, mainly TIG and stick, i never MIG anything anymore (i ended up bringing my lincoln MIG to the pawn shop years ago). That said, since I fucking love to TIG now, I wish I would have bought a Dynasty at the start because I feel like i'm outgrowing this machine.

(KNOCK ON WOOD) No issues with the EVERLAST machine at all, been very reliable, nice arc starts, and nice stable arcs for me. I mainly weld steel 4130, stainless tube, and mild; have welded up to 1/2 plate on multiple passes, and did a cast iron fix with no issues. LOL, I put ALOT of weld down with this machine and the only thing i've had to replace AFTER 4 years, is the foot pedal, and the rubber on the original torch body eventually wore away. I upgraded the pedal (instead of replacing the potentiometer), and run several different torches (have a few 9 & 17 series for different jobs) - no issues with the machine, been very happy for the money (KNOCK ON WOOD).

I really want to start doing more aluminum and really want to start building suspension out of titanium so i'm leaning more towards a Dynasty (if i can find a good deal), or I will just go with the Everlast equivalent of the Dynasty in a pinch.

Not sure what you will be welding, but get something with a high-frequency start, AC/DC if you plan on doing aluminum. Just be patient, and practice, practice, practice, practice. Best of luck.
    The only way around, is through

What a lot of people do with a cheap TIG welder and aluminum or ferrous metal you can do with a decent MIG welder. And be done with the project in minutes instead of forevers.

The nice thing about a TIG welder is that you can do small stuff and precision repairs. The problem with a cheap TIG welder is that most of them don't go low enough to do anything small. You can TIG weld the tab back on a barrel key for furniture but you're not going to do it with a cheap machine because most of them won't go under 10amps and certainly won't start under it. Try welding a bung on a radiator tank with a cheap TIG welder...

I'm not a good welder by any means, but once you've used great equipment it makes a mediocre skill pass for tolerable.

Honestly for home use, I'm sure someone is gonna talk crap, but the Vulcan multi process from harbor freight is a very hard mig/tig/arc to beat for the price. Very comparable to Lincolns multiprocess they offer for $500 cheaper. These welders do weld very nice if you are truly a welder and know what you are doing with, and how to identify material.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis View Post
    I don't think the Alpha is sold at Home Depot...at least not in stores. And showing not in stock online either.

Everyone I know got it from Amazon. 750 +30 shipping.
    Thanks! I’m leaning in this s direction because I am not welding for a living, but for fun on my own projects. I want to teach my 13yr old to weld too.

1986 Mustang GT 412W
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

If Ya Ain't First, Your Last! "Ricky Bobby"

Thread Information