Thread: chassis rust?

Forum Member

Default chassis rust?

I own a 2004 GMC Canyon that has 145,000 or so miles on it. Over the last couple of weeks I have been hearing a clunk that seems to be inside the truck when going over bumps. I was not able to figure out where the noise was coming from. (I am partially deaf.) Yesterday I noticed the gap between the bed and the back of the cab looked different. The gap was wide at the bottom and near no gap between the top of the bed and the back of the cab. So I got under the truck and took a look. I just about threw up from the shock of what I saw. The driver's side frame rail is rusted through and split open. I have owned the truck sense 2010 to my knowledge the truck has never been in an accident. The only body rust is a little bit on the front edge of the hood. It is just sickening to find this issue for a truck that is otherwise clean for its age and not driven hard it all. So what are my options? I don't know if AAA will cover it. I don't want to drive it now that I have found the problem. Am I just S.O.L.? IMG_0120.JPG

That rust looks pretty bad. You might be able to patch it but I'd think it's going need a replacement frame. How does the rest of the frame look?

Forum Member

Its about three or four feet of frame is pretty bad. I think it maybe rusted through the bottom of the rail where the torsion bar cross member is. The other frame rail is about the same. So ya, I am not having a good day.

I'd pull the cab & bed then swap the frame if the rest of the truck is in good shape. A bit of labor & the biggest troubling part would be having the equipment for lifting the body away & such. I've done it using an engine hoist, creative bracing, & jacks in select positions.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

That is a bummer, time to start looking for a frame or get some material and replace the section.

Thread Information