Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change it or leave it be? Midlife crises time I think

Is it reliable enough to run True Street at NMRA/NMCA? Get it ready for that and also run the hellcat when the kid is old enough too? That doesn't require a full weekend at the track unless you want it to be...or if it's a track a few states away. I wouldn't tub it.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

7-10lbs/hp and something that is enjoyable to drive/starts every time. This will make it so on every nice day you'll want to take it out. A long time ago I got tired of noise. So everything I have is quiet. It makes it a lot more enjoyable. I even put 140lbs of Dynamat in my jet boat so you could talk over it at cruise. Instead of being deaf and fatigued ready to go home after an hour puttering around the lake you actually burn up all 40 gallons in an hour and want to keep going.

Years ago I had a S10 that was a handful. You never knew if it was going to shit a 7.625" differential out the back, it was such a problem I was considering putting wing nuts on the U-bolts to make axle swaps faster. It was loud. You could feel the convulsion of the 18436-5-72. It was pretty much impossible to drive in the rain because of the shift into second with the reverse manual valvebody in the TH400. No power steering. It was a blast when it was a blast, but going to Meijer to buy groceries was awful. I suspect this is your problem.

If anything I would make it f.i and and more enjoyable. You have a really nice car and believe it or not fox body’s are getting hard to come by in good condition ( not cut up and beat to death). If the kid really wants to build a drag car it would make more sense to buy a roller come winter and it will save you a ton of cash, they pop up left and right come December lol.

I definitely need it to run for more than one week a summer. I sold all my enclosed trailer after the last un-streetable car left thinking this was the ticket. As of now, I’m looking at open trailers again. Full circle.

The bottom of the car is just as nice as the top, so I really don’t want to go cutting into it. What about the hood? Keep it as is, or make a change to a carbon fiber cowl hood?(paint can not be matched)

1986 Mustang GT 412W
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

If Ya Ain't First, Your Last! "Ricky Bobby"

LS Swap.....

Or a FiTech efi...

Or an Ecoboost swap...

I personally would do a turbo inline 6 Barra from down under but I'm a wierdo.

I like your hood but you are thinking of a pin-on race piece?
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    LS Swap.....

Or a FiTech efi...

Or an Ecoboost swap...

I personally would do a turbo inline 6 Barra from down under but I'm a wierdo.

I like your hood but you are thinking of a pin-on race piece?

Yea I was kinda thinking of a pin on hood. I think what I’m going to do is change gears and focus on making the car a reliable car cruise/show car. Make it Woodward worthy for 2019 and try to enjoy it more. Someone else mentioned how hard it’s gett to find a Foxbody in great shape and this one is as nice underneath as it is on top. Never had any rust anywhere. Maybe after My son and I have this one sorted out, we can build him something different.

1986 Mustang GT 412W

Quote Originally Posted by slow96hater View Post
    Id vote for chase the gremlins, sort it out and enjoy it. Nothing like having a fast reliable street car.

I agree. Fix the stuff that bugs you, and get your cowl hood.. either way your car is bad-ass. Keep it somewhat tame, I got a little carried away with my 68, and rarely drive it as much as i should.

Just my 2cents..
    Just another deplorable American...

Quote Originally Posted by my89notchback View Post
    I definitely need it to run for more than one week a summer. I sold all my enclosed trailer after the last un-streetable car left thinking this was the ticket. As of now, I’m looking at open trailers again. Full circle.

The bottom of the car is just as nice as the top, so I really don’t want to go cutting into it. What about the hood? Keep it as is, or make a change to a carbon fiber cowl hood?(paint can not be matched)
    Why cant the paint be matched?

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    Why cant the paint be matched?
    Hey Ryan! Carl painted it with a custom mix of fine blue metallic Perl clear coat.

1986 Mustang GT 412W

I think you're car is pretty nice just the way it is Chris! I could see a few updates such as a small cowl (big cowls suck on the street for visability) and maybe a mini tub. Work out the little bugs and enjoy driving it! I often wish that I hadn't gone "Joe P. style" lol... I have WAY more fun with my old 13 second AMX than looking at the race car sitting in the garage these days.

Thread Information