Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Transaction Approach When Buying a Used Car (Private Party)?

Forum Member

Default Best Transaction Approach When Buying a Used Car (Private Party)?

Guys - It's been a long time since I've purchased a used vehicle through a private party (not a dealership). I'm looking at buying a 2016 model year vehicle worth $30k+. The vehicle's title currently has a lien. Obviously, to close the deal, I'm likely going to need to meet the sellers at their bank with the money so that they can payoff the loan, remove the lien, get a clear title, and then they sign it over to me... where I then go to the SoS to title/register it, etc. Right?

From the buyer perspective, what are the gotchya's? Should I be doing a cashier's check, certified check, wire transfer? I assume it's made out to the seller, not the bank c/o the seller? Once done and clear title signed over to me in hand, do they then drive the vehicle under their insurance to the SoS? Or I suppose I could assuming I get coverage on it while at the bank, and have the signed title in hand? Just trying to ensure I have my bases covered legally and documentation/process, etc. Esp since we're not talking a $5k car.

Anything other than cash in hand will likely cause a delay in transferring the title over, such as the banks clearing the transaction.
    I could be wrong & it could be seamless resulting the ownership transfer to be instant. If anything, be sure to schedule with the seller's bank a date & time to execute the transaction in advance. Ask your bank which method is best when dealing with the transaction for a fast & secure purchase.

I would think a drafted document of some sort that you both agree too in advance could be a good thing.

+1 for calling his bank ahead of time and finding out what they need from you. Saved me so much headache. If you will be having a lien on your also start with their bank and call yours afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    74 Charger 440/727
    91 Spirit R/T TIII/a568
    95 Ram Cummins 12v/47RH

When I did this the lady at Huntington told me it wasnt instant, and would take a few days. I was pissed. I pulled out the cash and said I wish I would have know before I walked around with X amount of cash on me. She had a shocked look on her face and said hang on. She was on the phone with someone asking if we could get all the paperwork transferred right then and there. I heard them ask her if the cash was all real and she said yes they verified it(made me laugh). So long story short is I was only able to do it because it was cash on my end(buyers end). That was my experience.

When i Sold my Silverado, it was for $38k. we called my bank before hand. Found out what they needed. Then he had his bank wire the money to my bank, we went in together they verified everything and paid the truck off and gave me the remaining money that was owed, then they signed off on the lein on the title, i signed my part. gave it to him and we wnt our seperate ways. He took the truck right then and went to SOS afterwards to transfer everything.

Forum Member

All good input - thanks. Yea, I'm paying cash - no lien on my end - but I really don't want to be walking around with $38k in my pocket. I'm also not sure my CU would even give me $38k in cash if I just showed up, and if they did, guessing I'd be put on some Fed watch list. I'll call their bank in bit.

So if there's a lien on the existing title now, does the bank simply signoff on that title that it's clear, or does the SoS need to issue a new clear title before they can transfer it to me?

Forum Member

Update - sounds like carrying cash from one bank to the other is the only option that doesn't have a multi-day hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Update - sounds like carrying cash from one bank to the other is the only option that doesn't have a multi-day hold.
    Then the fbi checks up on ya
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post

You'd want to arrange at least 7 to 10 business days with your bank to have ready the day of/before prior to meeting at there bank. Also, not just anyone at there bank can sign-off on the lien. I am almost certain it has to be someone from management, not a clerk. It is best that you contact there bank beforehand to make sure everything is as it should be. There bank may even have the ability to hold your cash in a safety deposit box as a safeguard? Might want to inquire within.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Then the fbi checks up on ya
    Not a big deal, have done it countless times.

What most people think is if you take out $10,000
    in cash the bank has to report it to the fed. The fact
    is any amount the bank finds "suspicious", ie; $3,000
    or $4,000 can and is reported as well.

Likewise, any large check is reported too. You're
    being watched and tracked more that you would think - and
    I'm not talking about tin-foil hat stuff here.

Thread Information