Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost diag help

I'll let you know how hard the job is to do in my driveway. It's pretty straight forward. If the phasers are shot, they're $150/ea x4 + single use bolts.

Sorry for the shitty pics... Tackled the chain yesterday. It ended up being 1 tooth out of phase. It had enough slack for me to almost skip another tooth by hand.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Also, it seems to build boost now. So, being a tooth off might have caused increased intake pressure and the PCM wouldn't command boost at that point. Putting miles on it to verify that was the root cause

Sorry if missed the answer but how long have you owned the truck? Crazy with 66k it’s stretched that bad. Buddy of mine bought a 2011 new and has 180k+ hard miles and hasn’t had a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RSpencer View Post
    Sorry if missed the answer but how long have you owned the truck? Crazy with 66k it’s stretched that bad. Buddy of mine bought a 2011 new and has 180k+ hard miles and hasn’t had a single issue.
    I bought the truck new with 50 miles on it 5years ago. I don't baby it but I don't beat on it. I change the oil regularly and have never had an issue until this point.

Look at the video link, I had zero abnormal noises while running (hot or cold).

Forum Member

yes, being 1 tooth out will do what you described also. I had mine about 14 degrees retarded after I changed the belt. Car would run ok, and made boost, but was blowing it all out the exhaust valve. Manifold was a nice glow...
    I decided to check timing and found out it was so retarded, twist the distributor up a bit and put it at the base number, it runs like a champ now.
    So yeah, basically the same issue you were having with similar results. I just don't have any limp mode or OBD.

Quote Originally Posted by sofa king View Post
    yes, being 1 tooth out will do what you described also. I had mine about 14 degrees retarded after I changed the belt. Car would run ok, and made boost, but was blowing it all out the exhaust valve. Manifold was a nice glow...
    I decided to check timing and found out it was so retarded, twist the distributor up a bit and put it at the base number, it runs like a champ now.
    So yeah, basically the same issue you were having with similar results. I just don't have any limp mode or OBD.
    It's weird because it didn't really ever go into limp-in mode. It would still advance spark 10-40 degrees, let me WOT (which is probably where I skipped a tooth during low boost diag). It just seemed to command the turbos to vent and not keep the boost in the intake.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    It's weird because it didn't really ever go into limp-in mode. It would still advance spark 10-40 degrees, let me WOT (which is probably where I skipped a tooth during low boost diag). It just seemed to command the turbos to vent and not keep the boost in the intake.
    New question for you. His timing chain, spark plugs and coils were all changed. Now we are on the way home from work and anything over 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at any speed the truck start shaking violently. Not throwing any codes. We are cruising at 75mph right now on M59 and its smooth. Soon as he gives it gas to accelerate and pass it starts shuddering and shaking. Any ideas? It's a 2012 f150 EcoBoost.

Condensation in the intercooler was an issue on those. They had a TSB to block part of the intercooler. Also, some people drill a weep hole in the CAC tube to drain moisture.

Does it have a check engine MIL illuminated?

Thread Information