Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM layoffs

Forum Member

I'm looking for Electrical and Software Engineers!

http://www.esg-usa.com/esg/careers/

For the other people laid off, I don't know if they have seen this yet or not, but this website has some good information about the layoff and whats going on, pretty up to date. When I was tapped, the company relayed little information to me and pretty much pushed me out the door.

https://www.thelayoff.com/general-motors?sort=active

I'm still here but I personally know about 30 people who were let go. I know Atlanta had about 240 total, there were maybe 80 cut from my larger team. This week has been pretty brutal.
    '18 Regal GS

Probably a drive for most of you. But Tenneco in grass lake has a few engineering positions open among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta View Post
    I was waiting for a thread about this to pop up. I was let go Monday from Warren Tech. I have a 2 year old at home.

I have 18 years automotive experience, 2 Associates Degrees, and full knowledge of TeamCenter. I appreciate if anyone can let me know of any leads.

Thanks!
    Sorry to hear that dude, I hope you land something quick.

Sounds like Brad (4camtbird) is already getting some solid leads.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Reading through some of the layoff.com stuff it seems a trend in salary is noticeable. Wondering if the cuts were made based on sorting a spreadsheet as opposed to along strategic decisions. I went through this a year and a half ago and am happy with where I landed. Took me 3 months and a week to get another job which was the national average for an IT manager at the time. I remember the drive home and the gut punch feeling knowing I had just bought a house, had a 1 year old and a 7 year old and unsure of what was around the corner. Being it was also the end of the year made it even harder for job searching as companies clam up on hiring at the end of the year. My big piece of advice, take a week and enjoy a vacation even if it's at home. Don't start slamming your resume at every open position. Be prepared to be ghosted. It's gotten really bad now the number of listings that are data research reqs (Evergreen) or are a company just fulfilling the legal requirements and posting a job even though they have a personal already identified for the role. Be prepared to have recruiters just disappear on you. Had one company in Chicago offer to fly me up to meet with the board for a directors position. THis was after 2 phone interviews with the CTO. The offer to fly up came the day before Christmas. I said let's schedule for the beginning of January and was told I'd hear from them soon. Never heard another word until 6 months later I got a decline email.

From a financial standpoint, call every lender and ask what their hardship programs are. Usually they will defer your payments for 3, 6, or 12 months if you qualify (Which you will). This will extend your time to find a job dramatically and remove a TON of stress. You can't file for unemployment till the term of your severance is used up. If you happen to go that long, don't feel bad getting the 300/week from the government.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Droptop, don't fret, I was let go end of Dec. We knew in Sept/Oct it was coming. Market is pretty good if you have skills. Use your network, Linkedin, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Monster, Ziprecruiter. Something will come up. Post a bit about your skills unless I missed it, just quickly browsing this post but I'll dig further if you did post some skills. One supplier is shrinking another supplier/Tier 1 is growing. Best of luck to you.

Do the linkedin "premium" free for 30 days then cancel before it starts to bill you. i had a new job lined up for Jan 3rd, ask Anthony, I did alright DLINE too, but he don't say much

I was turning down opportunities left and right to interview in Auburn Hills/Rochester and focusing Novi/Plymouth/Livonia area.

Keep a spreadsheet of where you've applied so you don't lose track, don't want to "double" apply. I've applied directly to positions through a company web-site then get a recruiter calling about the same position, need to keep track of that.
    Last edited by 99Electriccobra; 02-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    Reading through some of the layoff.com stuff it seems a trend in salary is noticeable.
    I don't have any insight into any engineering or mechanical operations, but I have more than most would for the business and IT side and I can say that's not the case at least in those areas.
    '18 Regal GS

My brother was let go after 20 years from GM on Thursday. He is an IT Project Manager with an Engineering degree from MSU and a Masters from Carnegie Mellon. If anyone is looking for someone with this experience please let me know and I can get you his resume.

15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Thread Information