Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM layoffs

For the others affected on here, have you figured out how the WARN act and severance works? Can you use WARN act first THEN collect the severance? Do they happen together at same time? Thanks

Were you given 60 days notice? Not sure what your recourse would be if they didn't. Good question for the lawyers. In my case we were given about 90 days verbal notice then an official letter at 60 days prior which appears to be correct per the WARN act.

A couple exceptions I could see GM using in this case. If each "office' or "building" is considered one site: per wikipedia.........
    If a plant closing or a mass layoff results in fewer than 50 workers losing their jobs at a single employment site;
    If 50 to 499 workers lose their jobs and that number is less than 33 percent of the employer's total, active workforce at a single employment site;

Quote Originally Posted by 99Electriccobra View Post
    Were you given 60 days notice? Not sure what your recourse would be if they didn't. Good question for the lawyers. In my case we were given about 90 days verbal notice then an official letter at 60 days prior which appears to be correct per the WARN act.

A couple exceptions I could see GM using in this case. If each "office' or "building" is considered one site: per wikipedia.........
    If a plant closing or a mass layoff results in fewer than 50 workers losing their jobs at a single employment site;
    If 50 to 499 workers lose their jobs and that number is less than 33 percent of the employer's total, active workforce at a single employment site;
    I was not given a notice and also in my release packet I was given a stand alone page saying I am covered by the WARN act.

What is strange though is that the release paperwork agreement they want you to sign, it says if you sign you wave the WARN act.

Its so confusing. I have been in touch with a lawyer, but I am sure this lawyer is slammed with a lot of people right now because of this. I am sure I am covered by WARN, just wonder about the severance part as well...

In my case we received both, covered by WARN Act, given support about unemployment, and a severance. It's probably "cleaner" for GM to just offer the severance and cut ties immediately, I'm sure their lawyers have them "covered". Then there's no issues with 60 day notice, potential sabotage or employees taking information with them knowing they've only got 60 days left. In your case probably best to get the advice of an attorney/lawyer for advice. Sorry not much help specifically in your situation. We were treated rather fairly in my case, given the 60 days notice, Cobra coverage, and a severance on the way out.

If you were at the tech center then GM covered themselves. They filed a letter on 2/5 and in the letter everyone was getting paid the 60 days through 4/9. Basically they are paying you the 60 days in lieu of notice - instead of you working for the reasons in the post above. If you received 2 months worth of income then GM is in compliance. If not, then they owe you that money. Not a lawyer but have have dealt with this in the past. Either way if you think you were not treated in compliance with the act always best to confirm with a lawyer.

Here is the site with the letter that GM filed for the Tech Center with the state.

https://www.michigan.gov/wda/0,5303,...179---,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta View Post
    For the others affected on here, have you figured out how the WARN act and severance works? Can you use WARN act first THEN collect the severance? Do they happen together at same time? Thanks
    Understanding what's been posted. You have to be there, ie, not find another job before first of April to collect your severance. The WARN act is you've been given 60 days that you are done first of April. Then when April comes you sign your papers and collect your severance. Same situation as I was just in, but I had to work those 60 days. Then you hope potential employers could wait til those 60 days were over for me to start a new job, I waited a bit and then started looking the last 4-6 weeks before the severance date. There's your risk, do you take a job now, so you have one and give up your severance, or can you wait it out and find something to start first of April so you can collect severance. Catch 22.........

nice to see FCA hiring some of these people already
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by 99Electriccobra View Post
    Droptop, don't fret, I was let go end of Dec. We knew in Sept/Oct it was coming. Market is pretty good if you have skills. Use your network, Linkedin, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Monster, Ziprecruiter. Something will come up. Post a bit about your skills unless I missed it, just quickly browsing this post but I'll dig further if you did post some skills. One supplier is shrinking another supplier/Tier 1 is growing. Best of luck to you.

Do the linkedin "premium" free for 30 days then cancel before it starts to bill you. i had a new job lined up for Jan 3rd, ask Anthony, I did alright DLINE too, but he don't say much

I was turning down opportunities left and right to interview in Auburn Hills/Rochester and focusing Novi/Plymouth/Livonia area.

Keep a spreadsheet of where you've applied so you don't lose track, don't want to "double" apply. I've applied directly to positions through a company web-site then get a recruiter calling about the same position, need to keep track of that.
    Mike is on top of the current big upcoming thing.
    And still a badass!

Drinking the LoLions Kool Aid CRASH's Avatar

Might be a drive, but I encourage any hourly GM employees to put in transfers to Flint Assembly where I currently work. The only GM truck plant around and, as such, it is excellent job security. We just built a new trim shop and such.

I'm hoping to take a buyout in the fall if offered so that I can go military/government full time.
    -DAN
    2001 GTP Turbocharged 505hp @ 21psi SOLD!!!
    2010 Camaro SS2/RS Black w/Cyber Gray stripes *sold*
    2017 Camaro SS/1LE Mosaic Black Metallic

Glad to hear some people are having luck with FCA. I have applied to about 20 jobs with them and have heard nothing. I did work for FCA before leaving them to go to GM. Heck my dad works for FCA (about to retire in April).

So the past 2 weeks I worked for local performance company Katech - that was a good experience. This coming Monday I will be starting at VW (contract) its paying me more than GM, but benefits are VERY expensive as contract...

Thread Information