Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my 85 mustang, or should I buy a 2001 bullitt?

Default Should I keep my 85 mustang, or should I buy a 2001 bullitt?

As some of you may know, I have a 85 t top car that I've been collecting parts for. It's no where near origional, has a aero front clip on it, I have came up with every interior piece to make it into a 87-93 interior, I have a bunch of other suspension stuff, all the stuff to swap over to 5 lug using 94-95 spindles, and rear disk brakes including the correct master cylinder, Yukon axle shafts, blow proof bellhousing for the transmission...... and a bunch of other stuff to get my point across. Really all I need is front suspension, and a set of cylinder heads and I'd be really happy with where the car would be. But the big thing is the effort that id have to put in to it and the time as well. I'm getting older, and with work and life on top of that, I'm real worried that I'm not going to have to motivation to finish this project. I've been striking out on every vehicle project I've tried for the last 10 years. I'm not sure if it's a motivation issue, or I need some sort of therapy or something. :-D But the estimated amount to finish this car off, and have a really nice fox body that id be happy with is right between another $5-6,000......

So, I've found a 2001 bullitt mustang that still has stock exhaust on it even. Only thing they changed was they have 18x10's on the rear. Looks to be a nice car, they've got all records since new, and they only want $6,000 for it. Has 126,000 on the clock, which I'm ok with too, cause I wanna drive the car as well. Not buying it as a collector or nothing. Buying it to enjoy it.

I came here cause we're all car guys, and I hope some of you have found yourself in a similar spot in life once or twice, and you may have some advice or something. What would you guys suggest? Finish a project for a little self pride, or reject it and spend the money it would cost to finish it on another "cool" car?

Thanks motown.

Rob

Oh. I should add, it's not a factor of I can't afford it, it ends up coming down to having the physical room for it. I've got a 3 car garage, and it's full. Meaning it'd come down to having to sell off the 85 to make room for the bullitt.... if I could have both, I wouldn't even be worried about it.

Club Member

I didn't give up on my project, but I realized it won't be done anytime soon so I bought something already done so my kids wouldn't miss out on car shows and driving around. My vote is buy the car that you can drive and don't tackle any projects with it that won't take more than a weekend to complete.
    -Jerry
    http://garage.twelve22.net/
    85 Monte/83 Monte (Parts)

This is tough. I'd say finish your project. It'll probably be worth more in the near future. As much as I love the Bullitt, the foxes are getting harder to find in good shape.

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

I'm with Mike. Keep the fox.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

If it doesn't have sentimental value, then I think I would go with whatever gets you on the road faster. I have an 81 TA that I have owned for 30 years that has been sitting in my garage for 10 years waiting for restoration. No way I would sell that. But if it was just parts I had collected, then it would be a different call.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by slow96hater View Post
    As some of you may know, I have a 85 t top car that I've been collecting parts for. It's no where near origional, has a aero front clip on it, I have came up with every interior piece to make it into a 87-93 interior, I have a bunch of other suspension stuff, all the stuff to swap over to 5 lug using 94-95 spindles, and rear disk brakes including the correct master cylinder, Yukon axle shafts, blow proof bellhousing for the transmission...... and a bunch of other stuff to get my point across. Really all I need is front suspension, and a set of cylinder heads and I'd be really happy with where the car would be. But the big thing is the effort that id have to put in to it and the time as well. I'm getting older, and with work and life on top of that, I'm real worried that I'm not going to have to motivation to finish this project. I've been striking out on every vehicle project I've tried for the last 10 years. I'm not sure if it's a motivation issue, or I need some sort of therapy or something. :-D But the estimated amount to finish this car off, and have a really nice fox body that id be happy with is right between another $5-6,000......

So, I've found a 2001 bullitt mustang that still has stock exhaust on it even. Only thing they changed was they have 18x10's on the rear. Looks to be a nice car, they've got all records since new, and they only want $6,000 for it. Has 126,000 on the clock, which I'm ok with too, cause I wanna drive the car as well. Not buying it as a collector or nothing. Buying it to enjoy it.

I came here cause we're all car guys, and I hope some of you have found yourself in a similar spot in life once or twice, and you may have some advice or something. What would you guys suggest? Finish a project for a little self pride, or reject it and spend the money it would cost to finish it on another "cool" car?

Thanks motown.

Rob

I'm with the "life is too short" crowd. Get a car you can drive AND enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    If it doesn't have sentimental value, then I think I would go with whatever gets you on the road faster. I have an 81 TA that I have owned for 30 years that has been sitting in my garage for 10 years waiting for restoration. No way I would sell that. But if it was just parts I had collected, then it would be a different call.

-Geoff

And where are said photos of this 1981 TA?

I recently scanned photos of my 1977 & 1979 TA's

9.jpg

8.jpg

Liquidate that fox body stuff for pennies and buy a driver. Having a big project is only for certain people and I'm not one of them. Good luck!
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Project cars SUCK. If you aren’t totally committed to your FOX then send it down the road and get the other car. I will never own another project car again. If I can’t drive it right now and make improvements as i go then im not interested in owning it.

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Me personally I would rather have the Fox body. But if you don't have the motivation and or time to complete the fox then buy a nice driver and enjoy it. Life's too short.
    Last edited by capone; 02-09-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Thread Information