I had 2 distributors to make one good one. The original one which came with the engine was missing some parts, so the second one came in handy. I took both apart and cleaned the 50 years of crap, bugs, grease and rust from them...

The guy bought new points, condenser, cap and rotor. The points didn't fit because they were too long and for a later year. One of the two caps didn't fit because it was a bit too small and wouldn't fit over the housing, the condenser didn't fit very well because the slots for the anti-rotate plugs weren't the correct spacing and both rotors were a very, very tight fit and weren't really correct. How about that for Chinese workmanship?

The way you set the dual points is you block off the secondary set of points with a piece of paper, then set the primary set of points to 26 degrees of dwell. You then remove the piece of paper and set the secondary set of points so you achieve 35 degrees total dwell including both sets. Or, I think you set both sets to about 0.015" with a feeler gage. It was pretty easy to do on the machine because everything is out in the open and at just the right height......The primary point set is the set which opens first. As the primary set is beginning to close, the secondary set is beginning to open. That is how you get a longer dwell time for the coil to re-charge.

I got 10 distributor degrees at 1500 RPM - Or 20 engine degrees at 3,000 RPM. Set your initial at 10 and you'll have your 30 degrees total at 3,000 RPM

Painted Housing
DSC_2497.JPG

On the machine...It is running, but the camera flash blocks the strobe.
DSC_2499.JPG

I turned off the flash, so the picture is fuzzy. I was hand holding the camera and should have used a tri-pod...
DSC_2505.JPG