Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Dealer Tried to Sneak Stuff in on Lease

Default Car Dealer Tried to Sneak Stuff in on Lease

Sorry for the long write up. Not making this about brand, because I don't think this had anything to do with the badge on the vehicle. New SUV, employee pricing, should be cut and dry, right?

So they give us a price over the phone and we agree to it. We get there, then go meet with the finance guy, who I fully expect to try to sell me the stuff I never get. He first runs through all the vehicle warranties. He is listing them off, and I am barely paying attention. The normal stuff - powertrain, bumper to bumper, paint, emmissions - and he also says the vehicle has a five year coverage on fabric. Not one I have ever heard before, but OK, if it is already on there, then great. Then he pulls out the form for add-ons. The corner has the lease price which we initial, then there are a bunch of new lease prices with the add-ons. This is the tire/rim protection, prepaid service, extra prepaid damage, and all the normal stuff. So we decline it all, like we always do.

Then we are whipping through the forms, sign the 10 foot long form, title form, then he throws out this form for $400 for fabric protection and I am like what the hell is this? He is playing it off - the dealership he got the truck from put it on the truck already. I am like, no fricking way, you just can't bring up that much cost while we are signing forms. He says it's already on there. Totally plays me for a chump tries to guilt me by saying the dealer already paid for it and they were going to eat the cost. I was almost dumbfounded - this is the third in a row we bought from him and he never tried this before. I refuse a few times more and we are done with it. He has to re-do ALL the forms. Reprint the ten footer. Reprint the one where I thought I already declined everything. End up getting it $20/month less then we agreed to.

Is this the norm? I have never had this happen before. I have no problem being the bad guy, and as many here can attest, I can be a real asshole (I'm working on that, OK!). And when we got done signing, my wife pointed me at a stack of that fabric stuff in his office that I didn't even notice. But still. I don't even want to go back here, but who says the next place isn't going to try the same thing? I dunno, guess I just wanted to vent a little.

Anyone ever had this happen before and what did you do? Did you go back?

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Had a dealer throw a tupperware bed liner in at the last minute, they removed it while I was on the way over to pick it up. "we've never had anyone not want it?"

I told them I'd be putting in a 5th wheel hitch and would have to drill multiple holes in it................ Was an A-plan purchase so I guess they had to make their lunch money from somewhere.

yeah they always try that crap... have to stick to your guns and make them reprint the form... cry lol

You should post what dealer and guy so knowone else makes that mistake

Club Member

Bill Fox did it to me on one - But, Moran Chevy on Gratiot in Clinton Twp didn't try any funny business - Everything was on the up and up...

FWIW - There is a 69 Camaro which is one of the great 8 at Cobo this weekend and it belongs to Pat Moran, owner of Moran Chevrolet. I've known him a long time and ran into him at the Autorama.

grr

I’ve never had it happen. I’d have made them fix that issue as well.

I’ve been to a few dealers and the two absolute best I’ve ever been a customer at have been Bill Crispin Chevrolet in Saline and Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Exclamation

Many years ago when the wife worked at Mazda (now its the Mustang Flatrock plant)
    We went to Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor to buy a new Mazda pick up, we were ready
    to write the check for the truck, but then the salesman, then the dealership owner
    tried the same "over-sell" crap!

They would not honor the employee pricing. I guess they thought we were dumb or
    something, they even got pissed off when we showed them we were given the original
    Mazda factory paper work (showing pricing), they accused us of stealing the papers!

Grant it, it is not normal to have such documents, we didn't even ask for them, but when
    My wife's boss found out we were buying a new Mazda, he said "here, take these, it'll help".

Well, it did, and it didn't help - we got so mad we did't end up buying the new truck.
    Kinda glad we didn't. The following week we found a great deal on a 1 year old Mazda!

To this day, I'll never trust that dealership.

Yup a Pontiac dealer near you on Mack that during the signing, said they couldn't sell us the car unless we bought the extended warrenty (car was 2 years old).... I think at the time it was an extra $500?
    A/C went out a few months after we got it and the dealer put a complete, brand new system in it... Got them that time.... BTW there no longer in business
    SAL

Oh and I just turned in an Equinox and didn't re-lease another car (I will in the future) and the dealer wants to charge me like $400! Talk about sneaking shit in a lease...
    SAL

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizeguy View Post
    Oh and I just turned in an Equinox and didn't re-lease another car (I will in the future) and the dealer wants to charge me like $400! Talk about sneaking shit in a lease...
    Actually, that is in all of the GM lease deals, but they should have told you about it when you were originally signing the papers...

grr

Thread Information