Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto detailing

Default Auto detailing

Not looking for places to take my vehicles, looking for advice on products.

With my small collection of vehicles, I'm looking for products that people use/recommend and which stuff is gimmicky.

Current "tools":
    Bucket
    Hose
    Ryobi electric power washer
    Worx battery power washer (very low pressure)
    Mit
    Sponge just for wheels/tires
    Brush
    Chemical Guys random orbital polisher
    Makita buffer
    Small shitty shopvac

I'd like to do a full detail on each of my 6 cars and boat 1-2 times a year.

What does everyone like for soaps? rubbing compounds and polishes? Waxes (paste vs spray coating/both)? I thought about looking into a steam cleaner for interior detailing and probably upgrading my vacuum.

I don’t think there’s many waxers on MM.

I recommend checking out car care section over at corvette forum. there’s a ton of info to read up on. I usually hit up that section on latest info on new products as well as stuff that sucks to avoid. Those guys don’t mess around. lol.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-10/

There are many good products out there. This is what I do. I have the 2012 Mustang that gets all the attention and my drivers that I just like to have look nice.

Mustang gets a (yellow) clay bar every year. Then it gets polished, sealed and waxed. Been using Blackfire polish, sealant and wax. First couple of years it was polish x3 then seal and wax. Lately it’s just been polish once then seal and wax. Use a Porter Cable 6” variable speed random orbit polisher and an assortment of foam pads. Clean micro fibers to remove the product. Finish Kare #425 extra slick final body shine spray wax for the rest of the summer. When it gets washed I use Chemical Guys maxi suds II. Now for the OCD part. Mustang only gets hand washed. No automatic washes with brushes ever. Touchless automatic if I have to. If I use the coin wash I have my own bucket & soap. Wash mitt is dedicated to the car and is washed regularly. Only use the mitt on the paint. Wheels and tires have their own sponge and brush. I dry the car with a cordless leaf blower. Used to wipe it dry and I would find minute little scratches. No more wiping.

My drivers don’t get near the attention the mustang does. Motorhome gets sealed every year with Klasse sealant glaze. Ends up looking pretty good but if I get it on too heavy it’s tough to get off. I found that a little spray wax really helps get it off if needed. Klasse works good on the other cars too, which I don’t do near as often as I should.

Here are a couple places where I found some good information.

Detailed Image sells a lot of this stuff but they also have some good information on their site. https://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

S197 "Keepin it clean forum" https://www.s197forum.com/forums/keeping-it-clean.21/

I Drag Race Because It's Fun, Not Because I'm Good At It.

Might be old school but I have always had good luck with Zaino - bought a kit that contained clay bar, car wash, polish, and touch up spray. All hand apply stuff, and doesn't require a lot of force. It makes the paint feel almost slippery, and stuff wipes off pretty easy. then I touch it up with this spray they have and the bugs wipe off easy with no marks left. Works good for me.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I actually have a detail shop in Plymouth if you ever wanna come through and use a bay after hours.

Also I could probably get a you a few things off the truck at a bit of a deal.

We use for wax. P21s, dodo juice, zymol and sonax.

For chemicals we get a lot of our stuff from car brite

Claybar is still impossible to explain to people so I always show them and make them do it. It removes stuff that chemicals just wont budge.

If you have that many vehicles you can buy large containers most products.. soaps, waxes, polishes, protectant, you'll save a little money by buying it by the gallon instead of just buy small bottles.

Claybar/Detail spray kit
    Microfiber rags
    Rain-X Car Wash Soap
    Wash mit for paint
    Wash mit for wheels
    Meguiars M205 Polish
    Car Guys Hybrid Spray Wax
    8" Orbital with cloth bonnets.
    Tire Shines Don't care of brand ArmorAll works fine too...
    303 UV protectant on all black trim.
    Meguiars Power Cone polisher on a cordless drill

M105/M205 polishes got my money after a few nights of watching videos.... I only used M205 on my truck and it fixed any imperfections that my eyes could see from all angles. My truck had black speckles all over it that would not budge with about six different products... Clay bar took all of it off.

Rain X soap seems to leave no residue. A lot of soaps like Mother's or Meguiars leave this filmy residue that has to be wiped off... I assume it's wax and it's just part of the process but it's annoying.. I'm put my own damn wax on.
    Last edited by AutoRoc; 03-05-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Elected Club Official

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    I actually have a detail shop in Plymouth if you ever wanna come through and use a bay after hours.

Also I could probably get a you a few things off the truck at a bit of a deal.

We use for wax. P21s, dodo juice, zymol and sonax.

For chemicals we get a lot of our stuff from car brite
    How do i not know this?? I'd send you lots of business shitbreak

Quote Originally Posted by CMYZ28 View Post
    How do i not know this?? I'd send you lots of business shitbreak
    I don't know lol... I don't really tell people lol

It's called Brilliant Car Care

what is everyone using for leather interiors?
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Cquartz leather ceramic

Thread Information