Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need legal advice. Landlord trying to give my business the boot.

Default Need legal advice. Landlord trying to give my business the boot.

Need some advice. I've been leasing a building for over 6 years now. The original lease ran out 3 years ago so we've been going month to month and it's never been a problem. Landlord never asked me to sign a new lease and never even mentioned raising my rent. I've never missed a payment. Landlord calls me up a couple weeks ago and tells me that there's other people interested in our space. I tell him we're still here, still paying, and if he wants to increase our rent then let me know how much. Haven't heard a thing from him until yesterday. He calls me up and says he has a guy coming by today to take a look at my building so he can rent it out to him. Says the guy insists on seeing it. He still hasn't told me what he's looking for in rent from me to stay.

Is it even legal what he's doing? What are my options? It would be extremely difficult to move to another shop right now.
    I like pie.

If it's just month to month, I'd assume you'd be hard pressed to stay unless they want you to. My understanding is they need to give you written notice of 30 days, but beyond that they don't need a reason if there is no contract stating otherwise.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...h-tenancy.html
    '18 Regal GS

unfortunately, the landlord has you and is squeezing you.

he only has to give you 30 days notice to vacate, since you are on a month to month. you can drag it out a little longer by having him go to court and file an eviction lawsuit, but that might gain you a month at best. and you will have to pay that extra months rent, plus his costs and expenses for the eviction lawsuit.

If you like the building, talk and negotiate with him. Hit the strong points. your timely with payments, never been a problem tenant, would like to continue the relationship. With a new tenant it is unknown, they could be horrible tenants, trash the place, not pay rent and be uncollectible meaning he will have to pay for any repairs.

negotiate the rent going forward.

Good luck.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Kinda what I figured. The good news is, I was able to renegotiate the lease and am able to keep my business. Nearly doubled my rent. Ouch.
    I like pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Kinda what I figured. The good news is, I was able to renegotiate the lease and am able to keep my business. Nearly doubled my rent. Ouch.
    ouch..

i think i'd be looking elsewhere then if you sign a new lease again

How big the shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    How big the shop?
    3000 sq ft
    I like pie.

sounds like your landlord is a DICK ! ... and only played the I have someone else card ... to tilt the negotiation in his favor

hope you didnt sign a long lease ... tons of empty property out there still
    Driven Crazy

Forum Member

You should add to the contract that you need at least 60 days notice, maybe 90 days, to give you notice.

I haven't signed a damn thing yet, been out looking at places all day. Not too happy with my landlord.
    I like pie.

Thread Information