Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Financial Lease - how is damage handled?

Forum Member

Default GM Financial Lease - how is damage handled?

Dumb question...so, my wife's lease has a pretty sizeable dent in one of the doors and quarter. It's not incredibly severe, but it's rippled. Meaning, it covers a large area but has few sharp creases and is very shallow.

I don't want to run it thru insurance. Estimates are coming in at roughly $1k-$1500 to fix it.

I'm considering picking up a cheap DIY dent puller myself and seeing what I can do. I have no delusions that I'd be able to make the panel factory perfect.

So, does GM Financial typically charge what it would cost to completely repair the damage, or would the assess me based on how they think it impacted the market value?

On our last lease, there was a similar type of damage (rippled/wave dent on the quarter) but much smaller in size. I did nothing to correct it, and I think they wanted to charge me a few hundred dollars for it. I convinced the rep on the phone that what he was seeing in the incredibly small black and white picture is a reflection of the vehicle next to it, and there was no damage upon turn-in This was with Ally.

My point is, if I work on it a bit and they hit me for $500 because it impacts the value slightly, it's worthwhile as it'd cost me double-to-triple that to properly have it fixed. If they are going to hit me for dealership rate to have it properly fixed, I should find the best value I can and just bite the bullet.
    Last edited by Atrus; 03-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.

They're gonna lean on the pencil in my experience. That was in the GMAC days though, but I'd expect a similar outcome.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Ugh - looks like my options are to bend over, or to bend over. I may as well just bend over.

I've had some experience with this. Basically, a 3rd party will inspect the vehicle at lease turn in. GM Financial will then send you a bill based on what they find to replace and repaint the panel, and it will cost you what it would cost you to have it repaired using GM parts at a dealer.

Your best bet is to have a buddy bump it and refinish it on the cheap....
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Ally use to be good for charging you for shit that didn't even exist. GM financial has been better.

http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showt...highlight=ally
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Try this guy - Dent Eliminators 248-613-7110 at 14 and Coolidge. They have made some pretty miraculous saves for me for a few hundred. The old guy who runs it is pretty cool too. Doubt he would remember me, but I found out about him from a buddy who he took care of too. Tell him it is a lease turn in and he can probably do the minimum amount of work to skate by with no charges too.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Have it PDR'd into something that isnt perfect but fits in a credit card size.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Try this guy - Dent Eliminators 248-613-7110 at 14 and Coolidge. They have made some pretty miraculous saves for me for a few hundred. The old guy who runs it is pretty cool too. Doubt he would remember me, but I found out about him from a buddy who he took care of too. Tell him it is a lease turn in and he can probably do the minimum amount of work to skate by with no charges too.

-Geoff
    Thanks, I will check!

Forum Member

I got a very rough quote based on pics from 5 star dent removal (good reviews and local to me). He said given the size and complexity, he's thinking it won't be a cheap job and will run me close to $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrus View Post
    I got a very rough quote based on pics from 5 star dent removal (good reviews and local to me). He said given the size and complexity, he's thinking it won't be a cheap job and will run me close to $1500.
    I brought my guy a dented quarter panel right at the fender lip - they had to smooth it and paint it, cost me $350 and you couldn't even tell. Turned it in, no charge. I brought him a scraped fascia that was cracked and needed paint - $250, looked perfect.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Thread Information