Thread: Anyone have experience with high mileage F-150 eco-boost?

Default Anyone have experience with high mileage F-150 eco-boost?

My lease is up in a few months and I've been looking at trucks to replace it. I have a 16 Sierra 5.3 that I really like.

I came across a 13 F-150 FX4. I have ZERO knowledge about ford pickups. It has a ton of miles on it, 220k. It has been dealer serviced its whole life. Clean carfax with dealer oil changes regularly.

What should I look for in a high mileage 3.5 Turbo? Should I avoid?

I only drive my trucks regularly from November to April maybe 10k miles a year. Then maybe once or twice a month. I drive my CTS-V daily in the nicer months. But, I need the truck to be 100% reliable during those months.

Any input is appreciated.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

I would stay as far away as you can from my personal experience.

I had a 13 FX4 for 12 months and wanted it gone after only about 3-4 months. Bougth it with 119k. Had to have the engine replaced at 123k for a knock that sounded like it came from the head. Dealer suspected failed cam phaser but deemed failure catastrophic and replaced with re manufactured engine under dealer warranty (another long unrelated story with the warranty...). Ever since engine replacement had a HORRIBLE idle vibration that I could not figure out. By the first oil change on the reman engine, there was small a couple small oil leaks coming from the back of the engine. Which oil changes are horrible cuz you pull the plug and oil shoots directly at the sway bar creating two oil streams...

All the 11-14 trucks are currently recalled for the trans output shaft speed sensor. OSS fails and creates false low wheel speed reading telling the truck to down shift to 1st gear no matter what speed the truck is actually going. 11-12 trucks get the OSS (which is actually incorporated to the "lead frame" which has the shift solenoid, input speed, trans range sensor, OSS all in it and it requires pulling the valve body out of the trans. Which is a self-contained unit and doesn't need to be split in the trans but still annoying. 13-14 trucks only get a PCM reflash. I don't know how the same trans in 11-12 needs hard parts to fix and other years only need a software update.

My truck also could have used ball joints as they were dry/ tight/ noisy at 125k. Occasionally in the cold the infotainment wouldn't boot up and would need a truck turn off/ restart to get it working.

General F-150 issues. IWE (integrated wheel ends for 4x4 wheel end disconnect) are vacuum operated and known to fail. Timing chains are a huge one pretty much not if but when. They stretch and rattle on startup. Just google and you'll find more info than you need. Typically $2,500 min repair at a shop.

Always been more of a Ford guy, but this truck may have convinced me to never buy another Ford truck...

I am a Ford guy and have a 2013 XLT 3.5L GTDI. The turbos are about $900 each and have a 100k life expectancy.

I did the timing chain in my garage ($250 in parts) at 66k miles. I have religiously changed the oil at the calculated remaining-oil-life percentage. I now will change the oil every 3-4k miles. I'm thinking it was more related to gas-wash due to the direct injection.

The first gen EB is DI only so the intake valves get caked because fuel doesn't clean them, performance drops and so does mileage.

Intercoolers can cause misfires/rough running conditions due to moisture.

I have a trans recall (listed above) which is just a PCM reflash. I was told that they do not have the software ready for that recall (I think the dealership was blowing smoke)

I also have a master cylinder recall (replacement due to possibility of the seal failing)-mine is not leaking or losing fluid so I haven't taken it in yet.

Overall I have put a lot of highway miles on my truck but it also has done a ton of work. I pull my 29' Formula SR1 boat behind on a triple axle trailer and it has more than enough power to pull heavier, I'm limited to towing capacity and brakes at this point.

I would try to go with a 5.0 if you get something with higher miles though. Unless you are able to work on your stuff yourself, then the repair cost isn't as bad.

Cool

A general rule has always been, stay away from high mileage turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    I am a Ford guy and have a 2013 XLT 3.5L GTDI. The turbos are about $900 each and have a 100k life expectancy.

I have a trans recall (listed above) which is just a PCM reflash. I was told that they do not have the software ready for that recall (I think the dealership was blowing smoke)
    I believe that the software not ready is true. My letter said something about not being available until the second quarter or something. Again, makes me question why 11-12 get hard parts and 13-14 software only.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    A general rule has always been, stay away from high mileage turbos.
    I think my new general rule is stay away from anything with overly complex parts out of warranty. I'm gonna go back to pre 07 GM truck with pushrod V8 and no extra emissions/ active displacement BS.

Thanks guys.

I’ve been looking for a 07-14 Tahoe or Yukon. I don’t mind a high mileage LS motor.

This truck popped up on my radar but wanted to get input to see if it’s worth bidding on. I’m going to say no.

Back to searching.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

It’s at 220k
    What’s it service history?
    All the things these guys complaining about been done? Turbos? Phasers?
    I had zero issues with my ecoboost vehicles.
    100’s of thousands of these on the road, every model has issues.
    Mine were fine

Good catch can fixes a lot of the issues.
    Intercooler drain valve.
    All f150’s have the trans recall, aftermarket tune solves it too

All my ecoboost vehicles were Livernois tuned as well,

Buddy of mine had nothing but problems. by 95k miles he had 3 total turbo replacements, intercooler, timing chain and other things I don't remember. He dumped it after the third turbo went in February.

But plenty of others keep on trucking with no issues. I'd avoid it, though.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Club Member

I'd stick with the LS motor GMs. Just heard tons of problems as stated above with Eco-boosts. Not just the trucks either. The 4 cylinders pitch their guts when they get to SRT4 power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    It’s at 220k
    What’s it service history?
    All the things these guys complaining about been done? Turbos? Phasers?
    I had zero issues with my ecoboost vehicles.
    100’s of thousands of these on the road, every model has issues.
    Mine were fine

Good catch can fixes a lot of the issues.
    Intercooler drain valve.
    All f150’s have the trans recall, aftermarket tune solves it too

All my ecoboost vehicles were Livernois tuned as well,
    It's at an auction, I don't have the service history. Carfax shows regular dealer visits.
    -Andy

2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Thread Information