Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastidip

Default Plastidip

ok... anybody ever done it ? anybody have a hook up ?

I'm thinking of doing the roof of the 53 with white pearl
    Driven Crazy

There use to be a ton of places that did it locally, try doctor tinto in Livonia or Redford.

I know a few friends that did it. They all highly recommended following the instructions to the "T". Also, many coats(thicker film) is easier to remove in the future.

Dipyourcar.com is the best place to buy the stuff from. They also have a TON of good videos on youtube that will help you do it. All the way down to a first person step by step of the entire process. I have done a few small things so far. wheels, shifter handle etc.

But recently bought one of there kits to do an entire vehicle. Excited to see how it turns out. Just a S10 that needed some(a lot) rust/dent repair. But dont really have the funds or knowledge to paint a whole car myself. Watched a bunch of their videos and it seemed like a cool viable DIY option. so i went for it and bought the kit and one of their spray systems. Should be doing it in the next week or so. Ill post updates on how it goes.

I've used it on the chevy badge of my silverado, and the stuff is awesome. Its held up really well
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Forum Member

I did the lower beltline on my Jeep Liberty when I had it. The bumpers/flares and plastic "Sport" trim were fading so I sprayed them along with the lower doors black. I just used rattle can and it came out good and held up well. It was rubbery/tacky at first, but I threw some cheap Turtle Wax spray wax on it, and it make it non-tacky.

I also painted my wheels on that with the DipYourCar anthracite in spray cans, along with their glossifier. Again, held up well enough on a DD - I drove it for about a year with the dip on, and no issues. Sold it with it on.

Overall, for the cost and ease of application, I was satisfied with it.

My whole firebird is dipped Anthracite.

For the smoothest finish, mix if 50:50 with xylene (found at home depot) and spray it from a HVLP paint gun. They electric guns they sell work fine, but the finish is a little orange peely. DipYourCar is awesome. They answered a ton of questions for me before we did mine.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Did the wheels on my truck with a rattle can, held up ok until people decided to start picking at it. As a bonus truck is 4 years old now and when I peeled it to start fresh the rims look brand new

Here are some shots of my completed project. stuff is pretty cool, amazing what it will cover up. Ill definetly be spraying another car. Also very surprised and happy with how smooth it laid down.

S10 1.jpeg
    S10 2.jpeg
    S10 3.jpeg
    S10 4.jpeg
    S10 5.jpeg
    Last edited by draggingto; 06-17-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Here is what i was working with, this is after replacing the rockers and cab corners. also fixing the dings and dents. This was my first real shot at doing any kind of body work. It was a pain in the ass. But i am pretty happy with how it turned out for my first time.

S10 7.jpeg
    S10 8.jpeg
    S10 9.jpeg
    S10 10.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by draggingto; 06-17-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Thread Information