Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions . dbl DIN in 66 mustang?

Default Need suggestions . dbl DIN in 66 mustang?

Here is my issue. I want this done BEFORE the Woodward Dream Cruise, so I am quickly running out of time.

My 66 has a single DIN cut out for a stereo. I would love to put in a double DIN, with Satellite, Nav, Blue Tooth, USB, but there is not room for a double Din.

I thought about a single Din with a screen on it, but the mustang dash overhangs and I think the screen will hit the dash cover.

dash.jpg (not mine, but picture for reference).

I could build a center console, use matching carpet and put it under the dash, something like this:

site1.png

But, I'm not sure I could build it in time for WDC.

Do I go with a single DIN and forgot the GPS and call it good?

Any suggestion?

I could put 2-3 gauges where the current hole is in the dash for the radio, and put the radio elsewhere (likely console). Thoughts? opinions?
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Elected Club Official

Just quickly looked but looks like some of the sing din's hang down with a bigger double din size screen like the one below. Would this hit the bottom of the dash below the radio? i'm sure there might be more options outside of this one to keep it single din with extra options.

https://www.navi4all.com/en/product/...-core-wifi-4k/

Inside the glove box an option?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Inside the glove box an option?
    I think the lower one with the console would be sweet, but it takes time....

I also think in the glove box is NFG, except for the passenger. It's an option, but you want touch screen and all that crap so you can see it and touch it, if you're driving, you're not going to see any of that in the glove box, even with it open.

Being a Mustang guy, I'm always looking at gauge and radio mods on other people's cars. Some are placed with a reason and are very functional while others look like an afterthought.

My suggestion would be to not rush anything and maybe skip the deadline if it means getting what you absolutely want in the long run.

Personally, I think the gauges in the radio hole and a custom console with a well placed head unit will look well laid out if done right. Just make sure you can revert back without having to buy a new lower dash panel.

Forum Member

One thing to consider - I put a double din Android unit in my '00 Camaro. I don't regret it at all, however, that is a similar layout to what you're proposing with the center console from the standpoint that the HU is fairly low in the cabin. It's moderately frustrating to have it that low - it's not convenient to glance down at it. Makes me appreciate the higher mounting in modern cars. I feel like my eyes are very much off the road if I glance at it.

Again, I don't regret doing it, but wanted to mention since you seem to be on the fence slightly about the double din vs a smaller unit. I'd consider how much you really think you'd use the maps function, if that's the primary driver to you moving to a screen setup.

Driven Crazy

I would go check out some of the local Car Tunes or Mickey Shore and see if they have any single DIN stuff laying around that would bolt in with minimal hassle. At least you will get a decent radio out of it, and you could get one of those cassette adapters and connect it to your phone.

I am truly old school when it comes to car stereo though...

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

have you checked out the alpine halo 9 single din mounting?

Thread Information