Thread: 6 Of The Top 10 Most American Cars Are Honda's

Default 6 Of The Top 10 Most American Cars Are Honda's

Club Member

Glad Honda isn't in the number one spot! Good to see an Italian company in number one, LOL!

Corvette at # 5.

Forum Member

Articles like this are total BS though. Need to look at overall employment #s, HQ location, etc. Go tell all the workers in the RenCen, Warren Tech, Milford, Dearborn, Auburn Hills that a POS Honda/Toyota is more American than anything they make and see how that goes. What would hurt your family/friends more -- a major layoff at the Big 3 or Honda? I think the vast, vast majority of us would say the former.... and that's truth to how American something is.

Where a screw is turned is only a small part of the picture - misses the entire white collar, high academics, high paying jobs.

And not to start a union debate, but is it all that unexpected that UAW organized auto companies are moving more blue collar jobs abroad than those companies not bound by unionized labor? Seems to be natural progression of things. The UAW failing to organize the southern Asian assembly plants is another major contributor to the conclusion of this article.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 06-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Well killjoy, I’m afraid you need to up your reading comprehension. If you were to actually read the article, you would see that it talks about not just where things are “screwed together“, it’s more about where the parts are sourced from. As for where the money goes, just head down to Plano Texas, and see just how huge Toyotas North American headquarters are. Honda has a rather huge R&D facility in Ohio, along with facilities in California.

As for the UAW not organizing down south. That comes to as you say a their incompetence and be, there a relevance when companies provide good pay and benefits as the Asians and Germans do down south.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Go tell all the workers in the RenCen, Warren Tech, Milford, Dearborn, Auburn Hills that a POS Honda/Toyota is more American than anything they make and see how that goes. What would hurt your family/friends more -- a major layoff at the Big 3 or Honda? I think the vast, vast majority of us would say the former.... and that's truth to how American something is.
    The metro-Detroit area is very unique, though, and you can't compare it to anywhere else in the world really. It'd without a doubt hurt our family and friends more if the Big 3 make any big changes, but outside of the area it can go either way. Even the way cars are bought/sold in this area is unique to metro-Detroit.
    '18 Regal GS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    Well killjoy, I’m afraid you need to up your reading comprehension. If you were to actually read the article, you would see that it talks about not just where things are “screwed together“, it’s more about where the parts are sourced from.
    I can read just fine, thanks. My point was that there's more to it than simply where the parts are sourced from, or where final assembly takes place. Go look at all the white collar jobs at the sites I mentioned above -- jobs that have nothing directly to do with actually physically touching, assembling & building a product. Engineers, architects, finance, IT, HR, auditors, lawyers, etc. etc. Guess where most of those jobs are located for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.? Guess where they are for GM, Ford, Chrysler? No comparison. Saying Toyota is more American than GM or Ford simply because some models are assembled in the US or have more parts sourced from the US is silly as you're ignoring everything that indirectly supports the production of that vehicle.

Is Apple a Chinese company since every product they manufacture is produced there?

As for where the money goes, just head down to Plano Texas, and see just how huge Toyotas North American headquarters are. Honda has a rather huge R&D facility in Ohio, along with facilities in California.
    No need, I've already been inside the "god pod" back when EDS owned the building. They also moved a significant number of people from the A^2 campus there.

As for the UAW not organizing down south. That comes to as you say a their incompetence and be, there a relevance when companies provide good pay and benefits as the Asians and Germans do down south.
    My point was, if the UAW were to organize those plants, what do you think the 10 year trend would be for those Asian/German companies post-organization? The Big 3 are at a competitive disadvantage vs them in the American market due to union vs. non. And there's more to it than just wages; work rules and other baggage that comes with UAW.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post
    The metro-Detroit area is very unique, though, and you can't compare it to anywhere else in the world really. It'd without a doubt hurt our family and friends more if the Big 3 make any big changes, but outside of the area it can go either way. Even the way cars are bought/sold in this area is unique to metro-Detroit.
    Agreed. But a few years ago, I combed through all of the annual reports for all of the Tier 1 auto manufacturers and GM alone employed more in the US than Toyota, Honda and Nissan combined. Why I'm saying articles like this one on cars.com is silly/misleading. If all you care about is the # of assembly line jobs or where your IP sub assembly was made - sure. My view is you should be looking at overall employment numbers which can tell a very different story when you account for all of the white collar jobs supporting the production of that product.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 06-27-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information