Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow clearing - best option (vehicle plow / farm tractor / garden tractor)

Forum Member

Default Snow clearing - best option (vehicle plow / farm tractor / garden tractor)

As we're creeping into summer and 90* temps, I'm already thinking ahead to next winter...not really sure which way to go. Money is definitely a consideration. I recently moved into a house in the country, with a 300' gravel drive. I also have a good buddy 2 miles away with a lengthy gravel drive, and my parents are 15 mins away have a fairly large concrete drive.

Option 1 - I have a 2003 Yukon that's a spare vehicle. Runs great, was in a wreck and has a salvage title, so I just hang onto it 'cause why not. Is it feasible to find a decent cheap "consumer grade" plow and use that on this thing in the winter? The idea of clearing snow with the radio on, a coffee in the cupholder, and the asswarmers on is very attractive. It also gives me the option of helping out my parents and/or buddy if they need it. Concerns are how well the vehicle can handle light plow duty, and moreso, what the cost would be. I have no idea on what kind of setup would work best and if it'd be cost effective.

Option 2 - I was considering picking up an old Ford 8N with a backblade. I could probably get the pair for $2k or so. The tractor would come in handy from time-to-time as I have a few acres of land, but really, it'd sit 99.9% of the time and really just get used for snow duty. Said buddy also has an 8N that I can borrow should I need one for actual tractor duties. I'd also be limited to plowing only my driveway (no helping buddies/parents). I also question how effective snow removal with the back blade would be. I used one to do light grading of the dirt in my yard, so I have a little glimpse of how it'd perform.

Option 3 - I also have a decent lawn tractor....2010 Craftsman (Husqvarna) YTS4500. It's a beefier consumer grade tractor. 26hp Kohler twin, 54" deck. I could pick up a plow or snowblower attachment for that. Again, I'd be limited to only doing my driveway. Seems opinions on a plow are both positive and negative. Snowblower attachment seems to get really good reviews.

Any experience/thoughts? I'd love to have an old 8N, just because they are cool. On the other hand, I'd also love to be able to comfortably and warmly clear the snow quickly. I'd also like to be cheap, and it seems leveraging the lawn tractor may be the cheapest route of the 3 as a brand new snowthrower for it is like $1400 - may be able to find something used for cheaper.

Get a 4wd quad and ad a plow. Then enjoy it in the summer as we’ll .

Club Member

Option 3 would be a no go for me. I would consider buying a Polaris Ranger or RZR with a plow before a lawn tractor.

Realistically Option 1 is the best and could provide extra income if needed.

Forum Member

Anyone have experience with one of those rear "hitch mount" plows? Maybe that's a viable option for a LD full size SUV?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Cool

I too live out in the country....way out in the country.

I also have 300' of driveway. I hand shovel my driveway.
    I consider it my winter workout! It is very common to have
    3 to 4 foot snow drifts, several years ago we had 5' drifts!
    (those I don't hand shovel!)

Since you already the Yukon, to me its no question, purchase
    a used plow, so my vote is Option 1, you'll be the most comfortable
    and it could be one of the cheaper options as well. That is what I'd do.

Snowday 1 -1 .jpg

Club Member

I had a house and 15 acres right where the Chrysler tech center is off Squirrel Rd. They bought me out in 1988. I had about a 300' gravel drive I used to cut about 5 acres with my 8N Jubilee tractor and I also had a 4WD pick-up. I put a Western plow on the truck and plowed the snow with it. I also had both options open to me at the time, but I would still do exactly the same thing.

Just my .02....grr

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Get a 4wd quad and ad a plow. Then enjoy it in the summer as we’ll .
    Best Option in my opinion.

I currently clear our 200' driveway with a late 90s craftsman lawn tractor with a 48" blade. It does a good job but takes quite a while. Doesn't have the most balls either so if its more then around 4" I can only push downhill not up. I added knobby tires and about 100lbs of weight which helped but not be all end all. Also cant really push back the piles once we get multiple snowfalls which can be a pain.

ECF3071F-2419-4DE0-83FA-210DE0E66023.jpegAt my old house in Detroit I had a 200’ drive and a Honda four traxx with a plow. Worked great and the plow comes off real easy for transport or season change.
    Last edited by mikesfastss; 06-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.

And I would also use it to spread dirt and rocks and grade the drive way lol. Just had to chain the top so it didn’t pivot.

Thread Information