Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow clearing - best option (vehicle plow / farm tractor / garden tractor)

Forum Member

+1 on the quad + blade, but Yukon would be a cheaper and probably heavier duty option. A full sized utility quad or SxS that's reliable is going to run you a couple K easily, then add the blade.

The nice part about the quad is you could use it year round.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input, guys. Didn't realize the quads did that well!

Yeah, seems like that'd be the most expensive option. I've started looking at some of those backblades for the Yukon. Seems like that could be a decent option.

Plow on the truck is only the way to go.... atv's and snow blowers are crap with heavy snow... you want something that will move 12"+ and you want something you don't have to dress for. Ive had jeeps, snow blowers, lawn mowers with plows, bobcat (I still use at work).... 1500 should get you something used that's functional... with a plow you will have no worries and it will be much faster to complete the job.... and 5 years from not there will still be a market for the plow.

I've been rocking a John Deere garden tractor with a plow. I can cut grass, pick up leaves, and plow with just one piece of equipment.

Only down fall is it really wouldnt be easy to do anyones driveway who isnt close to you.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

I prefer option 4, which would be to move south, like I did...lol. If that’s off the table, option 1 seems to be the best.

Dennis

We use a tiller on the back in the summer, as well as forks on the bucket to unload pallets from trucks. (New Holland Boomer 25)

I have a Bolens garden tractor (1800 Eliminator, to be precise) that I use to plow 330' of driveway, two turnarounds, and a large parking pad... and once in a while the trails.

I used to use a 1 ton Chevy with an 8.5' commercial plow on it.

I'd consider putting a light blade on a Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ.

The Bolens works well because it has foot controls for forward/reverse. I have trencher tires on it so it doesn't need chains. It hauls ass at about 11mph in forward and 9mph in reverse. The forward/reverse foot controls your hands free for the blade and steering. Direction changes are fluid. You can see what you are plowing and you can make on-the-fly adjustments to ensure you don't peel grass and whatnot.

It does suck when there is a lot of snow (more than 6") because then I have to stack it. Which takes longer.

It takes about 15 minutes to do the whole driveway area, sometimes longer depending on the furrow at the end of the driveway (I live in the outside bend of a road). If there is a lot of wet snow (6"+) it takes about an hour.

My neighbors all use random items. Some use ATVs, one uses a Kubota subcompact, an oldtimer uses an antique Ford (Jubilee maybe?), one uses an old Massey 2135, two use blowers, and another guy uses an old Dakota. The only one faster than me is the guy with the Dakota, and only when there is a lot of snow. The guys with the blowers and myself are the only ones that don't do assloads of raking and lawn repair in the spring.

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

I have a plow truck for our 762' driveway (93 diesel dually with 7.5' western plow). That is literally the only use for the truck for us. I should probably fix it up and actually drive it but that takes time & $$ which I just don't have these days.

If you do put the plow on the front of the Yukon, keep an eye on the suspension parts. The extra weight will wear out your bushings, etc a lot faster. But it is nice plowing from inside. I currently shovel near the house and then switch to the truck to plow the length and clear by the road. Usually need to take off the hat & gloves as it's warmer in the truck.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

Honda is the way to go

IMG_0565.JPG
    Last edited by Wizeguy; 07-06-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    SAL

I'm with wrath on this one. I have a 77 John Deere 400 super tractor with a 54" 4 way plow. I push really fast too. Do not dismiss a old garden tractor. My 400 weighs in just under 2000 lbs (beet juice in tires, and 300lbs of steel weight on the 3 point and with me on it)when I'm plowing and even wet snow won't slow me down. Best part is, I have under $2000 into it, and have a 60" deck for the summer time mowing.

Thread Information