Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New home questions about septic and well.

One of my main concerns is will I ever notice I have a septic system? Will my kid ever be playing back there and get scummy water on himself or potentially get sick? As long as the septic system is working properly I am talking. It might sound like a silly question, but I'm 33yrs old and have never lived, or known someone who lived in a home with a septic system.

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    I was considering a small concrete patio out that basement doorwall for a future date. But I guess I'll leave that alone to avoid that massive septic bill.
    a patio is fine just make sure it’s not over the field, usually the septic field is at least 50’ from the well. I’m sure the inspector will show you where the field is as they have to submit a print when it was built.

One of my main concerns is will I ever notice I have a septic system? Will my kid ever be playing back there and get scummy water on himself or potentially get sick? As long as the septic system is working properly I am talking. It might sound like a silly question, but I'm 33yrs old and have never lived, or known someone who lived in a home with a septic system.
    you should never notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    you should never notice it.
    x2
    84 Mustang Coupe

Thank you guys. I appreciate the feedback. We might move forward with a thorough inspection of the septic tank and field.

Cool

Short answer, no.

I have owned several well & septic homes, this present one for
    19 years. Never a problem, had the tank pumped once and it
    didn't even need it.

Normally you will never smell or have any health issues. I much
    prefer my "on-site system". I believe it is healthier and cheaper.

You are doing the correct thing by having a professional inspection.
    Continue to do research on these systems to educate yourself.

Have never used any chemicals in my system, ever, and don't know
    of anyone who has - not needed.

One last thing, your water is not free. It cost money to run a water softener,
    if equipped and that well pump is a 220 volt, it costs $$$ to run it.

Club Member

You can have a septic system inspected. It's not part of a home inspection. My first house was built in '92, I sold it in '14. The person that bought had a home inspect then and well and septic inspection.

If you're serious have the well and septic inspected. The will dig up the tiles and inspect the tank and give you a report. Any decent home inspector can give you a referral for a septic and well inspection.

Is the septic system inspection something I (the buyer) need to handle? Or is that the responsibility of the seller to prove it is in good working condition and supply a report?

I paid for my inspection it was about $500. It’s a worth while investment and make sure the sellers have the tank pumped out as part of your purchase agreement. Kind of a fresh start( no pun intended lol) they work off of bacteria so you want to make sure you keep the bacteria alive, if it dies you will need to add chemicals to make a new bacteria to help break down the waste.

My house was built in the mid 70s and I still have the original well and septic, both work great. I have a separate well for my ~3.5 acre sprinkler system.

The biggest cost to well water is the salt you need to add to the water softener if you do that.

I had a septic inspection done when I purchased my house ~3 years ago. I think it cost me ~$150 and the guy inspected the tank, tossed dye in the system and dug up a leg of the leach field to inspect it. The older systems actually seem better built then the new stuff in my opinion.

As far as safety, make sure you get the well water checked a few times to see what is in it. You can get sick if the water is bad, but i'm guessing it isn't. The septic will never cause any issues unless it fails and you'll know it.

I live in Clarkson on Davisburg rd, close by!

Thread Information