Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Went to Milan yesterday

  1. #31
    Forum Member slow96hater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    romulus, mi
    Posts
    558

    Default

    That's awesome man, great 60's. Still have the aod even don't you?

  2. #32
    Club Member black88coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Thanks. Yes im still running the AOD. My best ever 60’ is a 1.59.

    Quote Originally Posted by slow96hater View Post
    That's awesome man, great 60's. Still have the aod even don't you?

    Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

  3. #33
    Club Member wrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, MI
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    Thanks. For now I’m doing the cheap/ free/ easy stuff to show people the gains that can be found for little to no money. I have a hookup on some small titanium bits that will go on the car down the road. A TIG would be nice though I have a MIG- which helps a bunch. What were you plastic welding? And yes ALRO is a great source.
    I mostly MIG also. I largely use my Miller 215 for the little stuff. It is smarter than me with my 252 so it's easier to use something with Autoset so I don't blow holes. TIG is nice if you want something little to look nice.

    I plastic welded little brackets and an airbox and a few other things. It was also nice for "gluing" tabs on existing or re-purposed plastic stuff. For example, for a catch can and a windshield solvent reservoir I welded on tabs instead of using a band clamp and bracket.

  4. #34
    Forum Member adidasvette16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastside
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Kind of funny. I used to remove/replace pieces, use aluminum, use plastic, use titanium fasteners, etc. Sometimes it is amazing how much weight you can save on fasteners alone. If you buy a decent AC TIG welder and a plastic welder you won't believe what you can do to save weight. Especially if you have an Alro retail outlet nearby that is stocked well with usable plastic drops.

    I just built new alternator brackets out of 1/4" A36 (because it's easy) to put a Leece-Neville 160 series alternator (22lbs but puts out 200amps at idle) on a Cadillac 500. I think I found your 10lbs in the alternator! Slightly different application though, but it is a 6-wheeled racecar with a shitter and a shower.
    If ya don't mind, share some info on your plastic welder setup and uses. I hadn't considered that option.

  5. #35
    Club Member black88coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    I mostly MIG also. I largely use my Miller 215 for the little stuff. It is smarter than me with my 252 so it's easier to use something with Autoset so I don't blow holes. TIG is nice if you want something little to look nice.

    I plastic welded little brackets and an airbox and a few other things. It was also nice for "gluing" tabs on existing or re-purposed plastic stuff. For example, for a catch can and a windshield solvent reservoir I welded on tabs instead of using a band clamp and bracket.
    OK cool!

    Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

  6. #36
    Club Member wrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, MI
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adidasvette16 View Post
    If ya don't mind, share some info on your plastic welder setup and uses. I hadn't considered that option.
    There are two semi-affordable ways... one is a glorified heat gun (hot air welding) and the other is a glorified soldering iron (speed tip welding). I have an old Leister Triac and some unknown brand speed tip welder (looks more like a hot glue gun than a soldering iron).

    It does take a lot of practice and you need to know what kind of plastics you are gluing together. But it does work remarkably well. The nice thing is a lot of fuckups can be fixed with a dremel tool.

  7. #37
    Forum Member Tom Kuznicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dearborn MI
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Hello Mitch. nice passes. I hope to get back out when the weather cools down a bit, I'm too old for all that heat. I took the Lightning to speedfest battle creek on the 4th but humidity was about 100% and temp was 89, not a good combo for a SC vehicle, only went 125 in the half mile. Tom

  8. #38
    Club Member black88coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kuznicki View Post
    Hello Mitch. nice passes. I hope to get back out when the weather cools down a bit, I'm too old for all that heat. I took the Lightning to speedfest battle creek on the 4th but humidity was about 100% and temp was 89, not a good combo for a SC vehicle, only went 125 in the half mile. Tom
    Thanks Tom. Hope to see you out there soon.

    Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

  9. #39
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Downriver
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Good Job Mitch

  10. #40
    Club Member black88coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Thanks Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Stang View Post
    Good Job Mitch

    Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •