Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting back in the car game again

Club Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Denny - I had been talking to my brother-in-law about doing an engine swap and he sent me a link to a car he saw on engineswapdepot.com. Just coincidentally it was your car! I told him, I know that guy! Your car is awesome. I like the oddballs like that. I would love to do something like find a clean Vega and dump a LNF and 5 speed into it. Not sure how hard it would be to switch it from DI to low pressure.

Anyway, that brings me to replying to everyone else's questions comments:

The asking price for car E is $12k. I edited my first post to reflect that.

I've had two fourth gen F-bodies already, one LT1 convertible and one LS1 hard top. They are kind of a been there, done that thing for me now. I would consider a 3rd Gen F-body a hard lean more than a sure thing. My mind is still open to other possibilities. I don't have time, patience or equipment to do my own engine swap but am not against paying someone else to do it. Bolt-ons, heads/cam, etc are not a problem for me to tackle, though. I don't need or want a race car as anything I buy would only occasionally be driven to (and hopefully from) the track. Something in the 12 second range would be perfectly acceptable as I also don't want to put a roll bar in anything.

I don't want or need a show car as I don't want to feel guilty putting a few thousand miles on the thing each year. That is what makes car A so tough. It's a beautiful car that is too good of shape that I would almost feel bad about modding or driving but is waaaay to slow for me in its present state. I'm also not worried about anything I get being a future collectible as I mostly want to enjoy it and not worry about it. I do want a clean, rust free car with no body work required, though. It just doesn't have to be spotless.

I don't want to do a Syclone or Typhoon clone, I would want the real thing and Syclones I was looking at 2 years ago for around $20k are going for $35-40k now which is too rich for my blood.

For newer LS1 cars, I would consider a GTO, G8 or CTS-V. Would love a CTS-V wagon but they are also still too rich for my blood. A Saab 9-7X Aero might be considered as well but probably not interested in its Trailblazer SS brother. Once upon a time I thought I might want a Corvette but I have been leaning away from that route towards 4 seaters w/ the exception of the previously mentioned Syclone.

That said, riche's Corvette does pique my curiosity, though. Please send me a PM with some details though as I mentioned in my initial post, I probably won't be in the market for a couple more months (just in time to put it away for the winter)!

The Grand National would be awesome. I've always loved them and I talked my Dad into buying a used one in the early 90's but if it is clean, I would guess it will also be more than I would want to spend. I have not really set a budget yet, though. My purchase would be the result of cashing out an investment and my wife and I still need to decide how we want to divide up the profit.
    Last edited by 2QuickZ's; 08-19-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Scott

Scott - you could always find a nice 78-87 Regal and build a Grand National clone. You could probably find a nice clean Regal down south or out west, and there is enough aftermarket to do a "From Scratch" GN build pretty cheap - and there are probably many million 3.8 blocks in the junkyard if you want to go that route. Just a thought. In fact, I have a huge pile of GN parts in my garage you could check out if you are in the market...

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post

Rust free and that gorgeous color, it'd be hard to pick one!

So buy both. Get a better deal on shipping. Had the vette out this afternoon. 110 degrees and nice ice cold a/c
    Last edited by riche; 08-19-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Really dig that Vette!

Impressive vette!

Quote Originally Posted by lilthunder View Post
    Impressive vette!
    Thanks. Fully loaded. 95, 6 speed, z07(1 of 750), both tops, dual power seats, rare 17x11 wheels with correct offset, 4 point roll bar, tan interior.

That yellow vet is awesome... Lots of mod potential if somehow you wanted more grunt or a nice cam lope.

Pack a bag and make a road trip home!
    Last edited by AutoRoc; 08-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thread Information