Thread: Anyone work at Detroit diesel?

Question Anyone work at Detroit diesel?

I’m considering taking a job there in the skilled trades dept, I currently work at jeep in Toledo and make the 70 mile commute every day from south lyon. Detroit diesel is 25 miles away and the pay and most of the benefits are the same, I was just wondering how the atmosphere is there and the likes and dislikes about working there?

My brother in law works there. Went from a union mechanic at Faygo to a Project Supervisor at Detroit Diesel. He loves working there. Said it has the normal Union issues with some lazy workers the union protects but I'm sure your used to that.

Friend of mine works there, but is in IT, so I can't comment on the skilled trades department. He like it so much that he's going thru the process to become a US citizen (he's German), so he can continue his career there.

I’m not sure how Jeep is but all of the parts of DD that I’ve done work in (outside contractor work) have been VERY dirty. I understand that building diesels isn’t a clean process but of all of my customers that place is one of the dirtiest.

My uncle worked there for years and retired. Loved it besides the issues mentioned prior.

Yeah I’ve actually worked there in 2006 for a short stint on the Purem line, I work in the paint shop at jeep so it can be messy sometimes but not usually dirty lol. I’ve been in the cleanest places( nuclear facilities) and some of the dirtiest ( waste water treatment plants) so that’s not a huge concern, not to worried about the work load, just wondering about benefits, time off, flexibility etc. my jobs great for all that but the ride is killing me and the extra time at home would be great.

Cool

Just asked a relative who works there as a "Process Engineer" (salaried) and they
    are thinking about going to hourly because its so good there.

They also said they are pretty sure you would start at "full pay scale".

Sounds like a nice place to work.

Thread Information