Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In three years... Porsche related

Default In three years... Porsche related

Never sat in one, never really looked into them as they/anything near the price range goes against my rationale (aka I’m a cheap ass!) ( it’s against my religion to pay full/retail price for ANYTHING).
    But I really like and have always loved the look of a Porsche 911,964,993 etc...
    I have given myself 3 years to really look into and understand what I may get myself into,
    Used of course. I’m sure a few of you folks own or have owned, maybe in my boat with research and or just knowledge about them and would seriously appreciate your input for consideration.
    Because I know myself and can not hide the fact it will be a daily driver, beat on every chance I get from my 2 mile commute to and from work. It will remain stock or as bought and I will be the only person to lay hands on her for maintenance, repair and or a good time for me or her.
    I don’t have a clue if they are even a viable option, are they actually long term daily drivers with typical routine maintenance? What is realistic routine maintenance? What’s considered high miles so on and so forth are the kinda questions I have, so if you any input or direction on how to gather useful info please respond good or bad, hell just give me only the bad because there’s soooo much good goin on with the looks!
    You might not feel it but sure as hell act it

A lot of guys buy the old 944's for track cars. Not sure about making one a daily driver through. You can get them pretty reasonable though.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Negative on a 944, I personally think there ugly. I’m thinking 40k is the”range”. There’s a few salvage title ones in the 20-30 but my luck Porsche value will jump in exactly 3 years,lol

A guy at work has a RWD 964. It has a ton of miles and has been "gone through" at least once, if not twice. As far as I can tell the engine is stock.

He didn't pay a lot for it, probably because it's been painted at least once (looks like twice, but maybe Porsche didn't do a real thorough job back in the early 90s?) and has a lot of miles. Drives really nice, looks kind of cool. Loud and slow. Half the horsepower and torque of my truck but weighs more than half as much.

I like the 911s, but only for their appearance. Not a fan of the powertrain.
    If the plan is to never ever sell, once acquired, find a salvaged one that's been brought back in good condition & not hodgepodged together.
    Anything you do to it for maintenance or mods might get expensive unless you do majority of the work yourself. Keep in mind, your time is valuable, so it'll be an indirect cost.

Yes, never sell, no mods. I would assume a salvage rebuild would be the plan. Actually I wouldn’t mind one with shit paint, I would rattle can flat black and gloss white 2 tone it to smack the attitude out of it’s persona.
    Even tho I probably assume most Porsche owners actually are DB’s lol so flat black to Jethro it up is a must, a few Trump stickers and I’m golden.

Do you want/need an air-cooled Porsche? If not then $40K gets you a good to nice 997.1. The 997.2 may be the last and best of the analog 911's and in 2-3 year you should be able to get a good one around $40.

993's are cool, but the styling is a little off. 993's tend to bring more money because they are the last of the air cooled 911s.

964 is the ultimate of the original 911's, that is why Singer uses those exclusively for their recreations.

Always buy the best 911 you can afford. If you try to buy cheap and bring it up to spec it will cost you 2-5X as much.

If you want to cheap bastard an air cooled 911, then find a mid 70's 912 and swap what ever 911 engine you want into it. Outlaw 912's are a thing.

^Good advice right there. If you’re planning to do al, the wrenching yourself you’ll save a ton as long as you’re competent, but I will repeat the most important line stated above-always buy the best 911 you can afford.
    If you just want a trailer park pile, then buy whatever and build it with zip ties and rattle cans, but to me that defeats the purpose of looking for a Porsche altogether.

Always loved that build!

It will be the best I can afford, I will not upgrade, change anything unnecessarily unless it breaks.
    After taking the time to actually look at the difference between models,
    I only drool for round eyes with wings(May have to add the wing myself) no verts!

Keep any and all thoughts and info coming guys I need you input, and thanks.

Thread Information