Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Me On: 2013 F150 EcoBoost 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by sofa king View Post
    Do they run these engines from start to "finish" without changing parts, either a vehicle or on a dyno to see what sort of issues arise? I do this for another company, we run a new engine in a test cell up to a determined government mileage to determine what happens with the engine, and how emissions change during the life. Same thing in vehicle, just not taking emissions.
    Depends on the situation, but most parts are on from start to finish.

A buddy of mine had one, 2012 maybe? His was certified pre owned, he dumped it with a month left on warranty. Multiple replaced turbos, intercooler, wastegates and I think cam phaser as mentioned. Being that he wasn’t the original owner, who knows how the previous person treated it.

But then people have also gone 200k without a hiccup.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

I don't know anyone that has an old Ecoboost F150 anymore. All of them got rid of them.

Same with the Taurus SHO.

I also thought the Ecofarces were cool... until they weren't.

Plenty of people still driving their old 5.0s though.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    For what it's worth, I am in durability testing and still stand by the 3.5. With the right mods and maintenance (from day 1 of ownership) they are great. The 5.0L is also awesome but the 3.5 TT has a better torque curve for towing. Most of the timing chain issues I read about are at the 120k mark, which still has me scratching my head about my early wear. Routine oil changes and always got to op temp etc

All of the manufacturers have their own issues, LSs and lifters, Hemis and manifolds/MDS. As you know, it all comes down to buying it at the right price.

Depending on price your buddy's truck might be a good buy. Can I have some details? My friend (another member here) is in the market for a newer/used F150 of that generation. PM me if that works better.

I was "first in line", he has a family member who is next in line.
    Price wise, it would have been a good deal, but after all my
    research, didn't feel right to pull the trigger on this one.

I had a 2012 F150 Supercrew, 4x4 with 65-70K mile on it when I got rid of it in 2016. Owned since new. It would "buck" when given full throttle on the xpressway, had no guts. I assume timing chains were starting to go. It did the funny noise deal a couple times when it was cold at startup but would not set any codes for it to be fixed by the dealer just yet, I had extended warranty. I sold it for a F250 diesel at the time.

I don't know if 2013 had same issue. the word was changing oil religously at every 5k prevented this, I went 6-7 range

Sorry, I see I'm late to the party, I don't get on here much anymore.
    Last edited by 99Electriccobra; 09-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Great power, tough on gas, mine went through 3 trans before the last trans coated the turbos in trans fluid and the truck burned down. If stuck on an F150 I'd get a 5.0 truck lol.

Humidity would kill it... sucked in tons of water from the inter-cooler and would stall sometimes.

Enjoy these ecoboost burn outs.
    https://youtu.be/I007staewOA
    Last edited by ultradriver10000; 09-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Woah....
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thread Information