Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Me On: 2013 F150 EcoBoost 3.5

Question School Me On: 2013 F150 EcoBoost 3.5

Please keep this serious guys.

I’m not familiar with the 3.5 Twin turbo 2013 F150,
    It is a crew cab with only 57,000 miles. A friend is
    offering it for sale to me.

I thought these had a few issues, but don’t really know
    about them. I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

Thank you for your help guys!

In my most likely highly biased opion based on POS 2013 F150 Ecoboost I owned for only 11 months, RUN. They pretty much will all need timing chains/ phasers at some point to the tune of about $2,500-3,000 if done at a dealer/ independent shop. I've read a few cases where they need the chains as early as 50k miles. Personal friend had to replace his at about 62kish. My personal truck I bought with about 120k on it and it needed a motor at 124k as it had some sort of top end knocking that the selling dealer covered under dealer supplied warranty after fighting with them about it. After the engine replacement it had a super rough idle (didn't want to bring back to selling dealer as they were scumbags during purchase, long story). Also right before I traded it in this spring, the A/C compressor seized up which I kinda blame dealer during engine replacement didn't refill with enough oil.

Also, I believe at this point all 2011-2014 F-150 have been recalled or complimentary service (free) for the "lead frame module" replacement. The output shaft speed sensor fails and tells the truck its going 0 mph while going 50+ and it downshifts into 1st. Some years only had software flash at one point, but I think now are not technically recalled but have a free extended warranty/ complimentary service for the actual part replacement.

LOVED the power, just not reliability.

Arrow

^^^ Ouch! Thank you, that is the feedback I'm looking for.

I own a 2013 F150 and work for the company. There are good and bad with the engines. They have tons of power but also have chain and phaser issues. I replaced my chains due to a cam/crank correlation fault (chain was stretched) at 62k miles. It was about $200 in parts and I did it in my garage last January (took about 10 hrs which was warranty book time). I made a thread about it. The turbo wastegates stick and cause a boost loss which is somewhat costly depending on where you take it.

The best thing to do is start the truck (cold) and listen for the phasers to make a LOUD clacking noise for a few seconds as they fill with oil and smooth out. Scan the engine for DTCs and look at how long its been since the last DTC clearing. Look at the fuel efficiency in the instrument cluster.

Lastly, these are strictly a direct injection engine so the intake valves get caked with carbon due to lack of fuel cleaning the valves, oil from boost and combustion temp. This can be cleaned with walnut blasting or CRC GTDI intake valve cleaner. I have a can ($15) that I have not tried yet. You basically just spray it post MAF sensor or through an intake port. Follow the process and it will loosen the carbon and burn it out of the cat.

One thing that is a huge benefit is oil catch cans (on any modern boosted engine).

Arrow

Now I remember you posting this last winter. My general
    rule has always been, stay away from turbo motors.

I would have grabbed this truck in a heartbeat if it were the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    Now I remember you posting this last winter. My general
    rule has always been, stay away from turbo motors.

I would have grabbed this truck in a heartbeat if it were the V8.
    For what it's worth, I am in durability testing and still stand by the 3.5. With the right mods and maintenance (from day 1 of ownership) they are great. The 5.0L is also awesome but the 3.5 TT has a better torque curve for towing. Most of the timing chain issues I read about are at the 120k mark, which still has me scratching my head about my early wear. Routine oil changes and always got to op temp etc

All of the manufacturers have their own issues, LSs and lifters, Hemis and manifolds/MDS. As you know, it all comes down to buying it at the right price.

Depending on price your buddy's truck might be a good buy. Can I have some details? My friend (another member here) is in the market for a newer/used F150 of that generation. PM me if that works better.

Never had a problem with any of mine. Tuned by Livernois and i always ran a UPR catch can. The big $300 one . And I was hard on those trucks.

Eventually, when prices come down, I’ll buy a 17/18 raptor just to get a 3.5 back

I was told to stay with the 2.7 engine or the 5.0 by a Ford mechanic. He personally owns a 2.7. He replaces cam phasers all day in the 3.5 to this day, even in the 2018/2019 trucks. Blows my mind. The performance of the 3.5 is epic however.
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
    For what it's worth, I am in durability testing and still stand by the 3.5. With the right mods and maintenance (from day 1 of ownership) they are great. The 5.0L is also awesome but the 3.5 TT has a better torque curve for towing. Most of the timing chain issues I read about are at the 120k mark, which still has me scratching my head about my early wear. Routine oil changes and always got to op temp etc

All of the manufacturers have their own issues, LSs and lifters, Hemis and manifolds/MDS. As you know, it all comes down to buying it at the right price.

Depending on price your buddy's truck might be a good buy. Can I have some details? My friend (another member here) is in the market for a newer/used F150 of that generation. PM me if that works better.
    Do they run these engines from start to "finish" without changing parts, either a vehicle or on a dyno to see what sort of issues arise? I do this for another company, we run a new engine in a test cell up to a determined government mileage to determine what happens with the engine, and how emissions change during the life. Same thing in vehicle, just not taking emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    I was told to stay with the 2.7 engine or the 5.0 by a Ford mechanic. He personally owns a 2.7. He replaces cam phasers all day in the 3.5 to this day, even in the 2018/2019 trucks. Blows my mind. The performance of the 3.5 is epic however.
    The 2.7 is great for fuel economy but they have their own issues. A coworker blew her head gasket in a 20k mile lease F150. We're all scratching our heads on that one too. No towing, mostly highway driving.

Thread Information