Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOS rant

Question

Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    This is something new. I have always flipped cars. Never heard a plate being dead when you pay for one year of registration.

It would have really made me sick if I sold the vehicle just after renewing my plate on my birthday and had a brand new plate that they did that to. It was seriously less than 5 days since I sold the first car to the time I tried to transfer the plate.

Hmmm, not heard of this either. I wonder if now we have to
    transfer our old plate to our new car before we sell the old
    one to avoid this new rip-off?

^ It certainly would make for less of a headache in the future for private party transactions.

Ever since the electronic insurance verification system came online, the SOS has a MUCH easier (read: faster/quicker) time at determining which plates/VINs are in "good standing" in their system and those that are "questionable" or "lacking" (either due to a change in ownership, lapse in insurance coverage, other factors, etc, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    Hmmm, not heard of this either. I wonder if now we have to
    transfer our old plate to our new car before we sell the old
    one to avoid this new rip-off?
    For me personally, this would be difficult. Most times, I need the old vehicle sold to purchase new vehicle.

Also, arranging test drives would be greater risk as vehicle is no longer plated/ insured most likely.

be careful of adding storage insurance also if you have a valid plate on your cars.....
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Forum Member

So, dumb question, not fully related to the original topic but close enough.

I bought a parts truck to fix mine. I have a title and everything signed over to me, but I haven't transferred it it yet (just bought it ~1 week ago). When I am done with it in the near future I plan to send it to the junkyard. I assume I'll have to have it titled in my name for the yard to take it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by twotwoturbo View Post
    be careful of adding storage insurance also if you have a valid plate on your cars.....
    What’s the issue? Been putting my car in storage for years, 6 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    What’s the issue? Been putting my car in storage for years, 6 months out of the year.
    I believe the issue is that SOS checks for active (non-storage) insurance when renewing registration. If they see just storage, they can deny the renewal. Or something like that, I'm not entirely sure

Forum Member

If you have storage around the time that you have to renew your plate then the form that comes in the mail wont have a pin number on it. That means you can't register at the little kiosk and have to show proof of registration at the counter to renew. Happened to me once and also another time when the insurance company had my vin number wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    My birthday is in March so weather depending I won’t pull storage off until after my birthday which means I get hit with a late fee which is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnCobra View Post
    I believe the issue is that SOS checks for active (non-storage) insurance when renewing registration. If they see just storage, they can deny the renewal. Or something like that, I'm not entirely sure
    you are correct....
    1990 mustang GT 5.0 sold 3-11-04 MISSED

Thread Information