Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Extender

Default Wifi Extender

So looking for some suggestions to get better wifi signal in the garage. Its only about 80-100 feet from the house by with several walls between the router and the garage the signal is quite weak. I could use a directional extender or a good 360 extension might be nice to also boost the signal at the fire pit and patio. What have you guys had good success with? I will need something I can put in the storage room as I don't want something on the exterior of the house so it will have one interior wall between itself and the router(unless it is hard wired) and will still have one exterior wall between itself and the garage.

Thanks
    Jeremy

Was looking for something like this and found this zombie post searching. Has anyone had any luck with wi-fi extenders? I have a big brick house with one inch plaster walls, and I can't even get a signal through the whole house. The cable guy was out last week looking at a TV issue but mentioned these as a way to improve the signal. I guess the boost it through the 110 AC wiring.

Anyone using a setup like this? I would like to get it out to the garage too, which is 50 feet from the house and also made of brick.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Forum Member

My buddy has the 110ac adapter setup and says it works well. His house was built in 1898, and the master bedroom is up in the attic on the 3rd floor, router is down on the 1st.

With the kids in virtual school last year, and my wife and I working from home, I picked up a Synology router. They have an integrated controller for their mesh adapters. I also work from the attic in our 2018 built home (also 3 floors up), and with the router on the 1st floor, mesh extender on the 2nd, I've had no connectivity issues and genuinely like the router and software for it. The Synology is more pricey than the 110 extenders, obviously.

Bury a cable running out to your garage and put up an additional access point. More work with having to bury it, less cost assuming you can bury it on your own and WAY better signal strength and quality that you'll never have to worry about again.
    '18 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post
    Bury a cable running out to your garage and put up an additional access point. More work with having to bury it, less cost assuming you can bury it on your own and WAY better signal strength and quality that you'll never have to worry about again.
    That was the plan, I already had dug a trench, for the electrical, but the apprentice guy filled it in before i had a chance to run any additional wires (I wanted to run cold water too for hand washing). And at this point, I really don't want to dig another trench. When I moved in they put down a bunch of "Fill" dirt, and I needed a pick-axe to get through it. Not fun!

I never really needed wifi out there, but I figured if it worked through the power lines it would just be easy.

-Geoff

Forum Member

Ethernet home run between the house and garage with an AP in the garage is best. But yes, you either need to trench, or have existing conduit you could pull low voltage through.

Big step down, but workable, would be an Ethernet power bridge (a/k/a Powerline adapter). Idea would be to use the THHN between your house and garage to carry Ethernet.

Also hit and miss would be some form of mesh wireless setup with one mesh device in the house that's placed as close to the garage as possible, and one on the garage placed as close to the house as possible. You could also get external mesh devices/antennas.

Club Member

Gosh, I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I have a long ranch home and my WIFI is pretty bad at the far end of the home and in my garage.

I would like to know, In Plain English, what I can buy and use? I want something simple that works...

grr

Quote Originally Posted by grr456 View Post
    Gosh, I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. I have a long ranch home and my WIFI is pretty bad at the far end of the home and in my garage.

I would like to know, In Plain English, what I can buy and use? I want something simple that works...

grr
    You need the same thing I do, but I don't know what that is yet either! I probably just need to go to Micro Center and find some 20 year old kid and let him tell me what to buy....

-Geoff

Forum Member

I will tell you - I have the Synology router (this one) on the 1st floor, with an extender on the 2nd floor (this extender). I live on acreage, very flat open land, and I can get a signal (weak, but it connects) on my phone out at my barn 400' away.

For your yard, Geoff, that really may be powerful enough to get out to the garage. $200 router, and you can add extenders later at $140/ea if needed.

Are the routers that much more powerful? I updated my WiFi a few years ago - and my Asus is rated for the same coverage as yours. I think I need something separate, not looking to start from scratch.

-Geoff

Thread Information