Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Way Pickup Rental

Default One Way Pickup Rental

So my mom and stepdad have a pontoon boat (on a trailer) that they want hauled from Michigan to Arizona. My plan was to rent a pickup and haul it out there for them then drop the truck off and fly home. The problem is none of the rental companies allow towing with their vehicles. The companies that do allow towing (Enterprise Truck and U-Haul) only do local rentals with their pickups. I’ve thought about renting a small box truck but with the MPG I see that being counterproductive. Anyone have any ideas?

If renting a truck is out does anyone have any experience with the companies like U-Ship?

Thanks

Buy a Curt hitch off Amazon for $125 and a Tekonsha wireless controller for $300.

Some rental companies leave the factory brake controller port and plug in the back available. So in those cases just buy the hitch.

It’s not that the vehicles aren’t equipped to tow, the rental companies say that you’re not allowed to tow with their vehicles. If this wasn’t a 2200 mile journey I’d consider risking it but if something happens to the rental car and I’m towing a trailer I’m gonna get hosed because any insurance company is gonna use that as a reason not to cover the incident.

Club Member

There is so much that can go wrong hauling a pontoon, especially from MI to AZ. Pontoons are so much more sketchy to haul than a boat.
    If at all possible I would recommend hiring someone that is insured to move it.

Depending on the manufacturer of the boat. Call the dealer they may be able to recommend someone. Or call the dealer in AZ ask them who delivers their boats from the factory. Most pontoons are made in Indiana, dealers have network of haulers that you may able to use. If so you may get a really good deal and they can haul the pontoon and trailer.

Call your insurance company. Most of them don't care as long as you have proper towing equipment and/or if you pay the rider for towed assets. Most people when towing have no insurance for what is behind the ball anyway...

If you're worried about insurance for a 2200 mile trip you probably shouldn't be towing something like a pontoon boat with anybody's vehicle, especially if it is a center lift trailer.

I also question whether or not it is worth the *money* to move an asset that is probably worth way more in a state full of lakes than a state half dry. It's not going to be anywhere near inexpensive unless you do it yourself using your own truck.

Unless its a Bennington Pontoon that's less than 5 years old ... its probably going to cost more that its worth to move it ...
    have your parents weighed the value compared to buying another boat down in Arizona ?
    Driven Crazy

Arrow

Try calling my buddy Jack for a quote for hauling it for you:

Transport .jpg

sell the boat and then buy one out here in arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Call your insurance company. Most of them don't care as long as you have proper towing equipment and/or if you pay the rider for towed assets. Most people when towing have no insurance for what is behind the ball anyway...

First off I never said anything about being concerned about insurance and yes the boat is insured

If you're worried about insurance for a 2200 mile trip you probably shouldn't be towing something like a pontoon boat with anybody's vehicle, especially if it is a center lift trailer.

I also question whether or not it is worth the *money* to move an asset that is probably worth way more in a state full of lakes than a state half dry. It's not going to be anywhere near inexpensive unless you do it yourself using your own truck.
    It’s going to Lake Havasu where tri-toons like this go for way more $$ and theres a few more buyers if they chose to sell it.

Find someone that needs a truck transported to Arizona and drive it out there for 200 bucks..... just don't tell them your attaching a trailer...

Thread Information