Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School me on Wireless Security Camera Systems

Default School me on Wireless Security Camera Systems

I like wireless, as I do not want to run wires all through the house to the cameras.

I'd like one that has motion activated cameras, night vision, indoor/outdoor, you can talk through the camera and watch it live on your telephone. It would be nice to get alerts on the telephone when there is movement.
    I would put a camera:
    1. front door
    2.front of house
    3. in garage
    4.back of house
    5. inside house facing front door
    6. inside house facing rear doors
    7. maybe on the side of the house as well.
    i would like it to be easy to set up.

On Amazon there are 10,000 different systems.

What should I look for in a camera system? 1080, or better? 1Tb or better? etc...
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Forum Member

The problem with wireless is that you're going to have to replace batteries regularly - which can be costly, and an absolute PITA if you're planning to mount the cameras up high - or run 120v power to each camera (or only put them where you already have a power plug, which is probably not an option).

Wireless is a viable option if you're only talking a Ring doorbell camera and maybe 1-2 pointed through windows or mounted outside at ground level. Anything more sophisticated than that, PoE is the way to go... even when pulling Ethernet cables is a PITA.

There's also the security side of wired vs. wireless too, but guessing you're not that worried about it. e.g. it's not that hard to jam 802.11 if someone was targeting you and guessed/knew you had wireless security cameras. This may come off a bit paranoid, but you probably wouldn't be putting up 6+ cameras if security wasn't a concern.
    Last edited by Killjoy; 11-10-2019 at 03:00 PM.

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

I have had the Nest system for a couple years at the house. The cameras were on sale through google store a while back and I already had the thermometer so I thought...what the heck buy a couple cameras since they weren't terribly expensive and if it's no good no big deal.

Ends up, the nest system is actually amazing. It is pretty perfect, and I am very happy with it. Just plug the camera into power and connect it to Wifi. Image quality is really good, have sound, can communicate through camera, motion/person detection with phone alerts, and a lot of other useful features.

Forum Member

I heard the same for wireless, batteries out the ass....And if they're easy to change, then the camera is easy to access, which means it can be moved or taken...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStoj View Post
    I have had the Nest system for a couple years at the house. The cameras were on sale through google store a while back and I already had the thermometer so I thought...what the heck buy a couple cameras since they weren't terribly expensive and if it's no good no big deal.

Ends up, the nest system is actually amazing. It is pretty perfect, and I am very happy with it. Just plug the camera into power and connect it to Wifi. Image quality is really good, have sound, can communicate through camera, motion/person detection with phone alerts, and a lot of other useful features.
    Same, I don’t like the changes google has done to the app, but they work great and the doorbell no has optional seasonal thing.

My friend swears by wyze, not sure how great they hold up outdoors, but they are decently cheap, and clarity and connection seem ok. They watch his dogs really well all day

I have a bunch of Reolink cameras. RLC-410 of various configurations and RLC-420 in various configurations. My favorite by far are the 5MP POE version of each. I have a couple of their other cameras but they aren't all that great of a value. Anyway, you can catch them on Amazon supersale for $38/each about every two months. These have provisions for microSD cards (of which I put a cheap 64GB card in them).

These are the least chatty and most robust cameras I have found under $100.

I have several of their wireless cameras that happen to run on 12v (just like all of their POE cameras will run on 12v also). So I hook them to a lawnmower battery and a 15w solar panel and screw them to a tree in the woods. Eventually I'll put vaults in the ground and run power and ethernet farther out into the woods. I poured the vaults and have the wire, I just haven't gotten around to it. Right now I just have a couple 350' runs out from the garage.

I have been slowly replacing my older cameras, including the original non-SD card 4MP Reolink ones I bought 5 years ago for $100/each, with these. I have probably another 12 cameras to replace. Slowly replacing old foscam/hikvision/swann/lorax/etc of which some are pushing 15 years old. I have around 40 live cameras around the "estate". Not all of them are actively being monitored as I have a lot of overlap.

I have another 20+ game cameras (mostly 720p cheapies that run on 8AA and a 32GB SDcard) out in the woods. These I'm notorious for not checking very often except September through December to see if any two-legged animals are in the woods. The batteries last about 3 months.

I use iSpy and Blue Iris to monitor the IP cameras meaning record/etc. The SD card on the camera is just nice to have for backup. I rarely use it.

Tendelux (also on Amazon) sells nice UV-filtered 850nm light sources. I haven't found anything that is affordable that is better than these. Most of the IR cameras without UV filters get burnt out by the sun. These are 12v also, but I often power them with POE adapters that knock POE down from 48v to 12v.

Do not mount cameras so high you can't clean the spider webs off with a broom. Plus at that height it can be difficult to see faces.

Quite a few of my cameras (especially the ones on the house) are "temporary permanent". Meaning I ran the wires under the siding and up behind the gutter downspout vs going in through the attic. Eventually I'll run them all through the attic.

Cameras are a great deterrent. I have never had anything stolen.. except some firewood.. but all of my neighbors have been broken into, a couple more than once. I have had people drive the 350' up my driveway, get out of their vehicle, see the pile of cameras I have in the back porch (only place they're really obvious) then get into their car and back down the driveway past 2 different opportunities to turn around (trying to make sure I don't get their license plate).

I have gotten a lady fired from USPS for littering (throwing lit cigarette butts in my yard repeatedly, but mostly I was sick of her doing burnouts in my driveway and flying past my back door at 30mph) and a guy re-assigned from FedEx for doing a donut in my yard. I have given footage to the police of a guy who broke into everyone else's house but not mine which got him arrested because I had a clear picture of his face when everyone else had shit cameras. I have deterred countless people that come to my house "looking for work" with fortnite hands by pointing to the cameras.

Forum Member

I have two Amcrest 4mp WiFi cameras. One bullet style and one PTZ indoor camera. Found them on Amazon and I’m very happy with both. They do need power ran to them though.

Contact mike Johnson 94lt1z some shit on here.

Justpressplay.com

He’s don’t all my camera set ups. Smart guy

Cool

Met this guy online, does a lot with
    car cameras, but I believe he also
    does home systems too. Good for info...

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2567499

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1KNhfsDu0ht0-m

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WayFastWhitey View Post
    Same, I don’t like the changes google has done to the app, but they work great and the doorbell no has optional seasonal thing.

My friend swears by wyze, not sure how great they hold up outdoors, but they are decently cheap, and clarity and connection seem ok. They watch his dogs really well all day
    I used to have about 20 wyze cam's at my work since they are super cheap and it was better than having nothing. I was using them as a temporary setup until I got a chance to install my huge mega $$$$ system. They are super awesome and great for how cheap they are. To use them outdoors you need to buy a weather enclosure, then if you want to record for playback you need to install a micro SD. The next is a lot better all the way around and this is a time where I think the extra $ is worth it even though the Wyze is great. Also, after a Wyze gets decked out, the price difference is a lot smaller.

Thread Information