Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School me on Wireless Security Camera Systems

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Have a Lorex/FLIR system. It’s OK. I don’t get sound, but the cameras are pretty good and it was easy to set up. Running the Ethernet cables was a PITA, but once it’s done, it’s done. The cables are already laid... so, I should be good whenever I decide to upgrade to cameras with sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

I have a bad ass Lorex system, but my ring system kills it. I hate to say it but ring/nest have a superior advantage over DVR systems now. The software that ring/nest provides is just amazing, along with the ease of use. I have ring doorbell, flood light, and alarm system. This spring I will be replacing all cameras with ring wired cameras.

Cliffnotes| Ring/Nest are wife/family friendlly. I also love the intergration with alexa.
    www.facebook.com/PaysoProductions Like US!!
    You Have Never Seen Racing Like This...
    Thanks to my sponsors
    TeamZ Motorsports
    Varsity Ford
    Fullthrottlespeed
    Motown Muscle
    Diamond Pistons
    Diamond Fabrication

My company is actually looking for a system right now. They are having me look at a few places as the last camera setup was a complete CF on the service and warranty end. But like most places, they don't want to spend major $$$$. Based on what they have sent me, they are looking for 16 cameras, 1080 or 4k with range of clarity. Sounds not needed as this is warehouse usage and some outdoors. 1+TB of storage, expandable, possibly hot swap-able. ability to offload a segment of video to a thumb drive if an event is recorded.

Lorex, Camtech, and a few local security places were thrown into the mix. The security places are $16k+ so thats not going to happen from a budget zone. Any thoughts or words of advice? Personally, I'd bite the bullet from a warranty perspective, but hey, not my money.

Ask yourself if you want to own the storage, or trust someone else with it, and how long you want to keep that storage.

I have a Unifi system and love it.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Forum Member

You could pickup a copy of Blue Iris, run it on good Intel-based Windows PC or small server, 16 Hikvision or Dahua IP cameras. Probably ~$4-5k n/inc install. That's assuming you want something wired, on-prem, no cloud or Internet-based solution... and were DIY'ing it. Problem is you need someone with the skills to implement and maintain it.

The problem with all of the residential class systems is they're designed for ease of setup and use. Few are designed for a setup w/ 16 cameras, or work when wifi is down, or the Internet is down, or 120v power is off. And you'd probably spend more in batteries than the purchase cost of the system.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may end up using the Lorex. Called a few places and they offered a pretty hefty discount since I am looking at 2 smaller systems instead of 1 large system.

I have a Lorex system. It is wired (all PoE cameras), color and nightvision. It came with a DVR. I do not have the system hooked up to my home internet so it is a standalone system that cant be hacked remotely. I did not want to go with a cloud-based system that anyone else could potentially have access to. The Ring system is a cool concept but I don't like the fact that people are giving police access to monitor the system for crime on your street...

Quote Originally Posted by furian76 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I may end up using the Lorex. Called a few places and they offered a pretty hefty discount since I am looking at 2 smaller systems instead of 1 large system.
    My advice on the Lorex, sign up for new letters. They will email rebates. I got a couple hundred off of the system. I would suggest buying the best DVR you can now and then upgrading the cameras later. I went with the 8-port setup and 2 middle of the road cameras. I plan to eventually buy some Pan/Zoom cameras and add more as I run more cable if needed. Also, I think the max effective length of the PoE is 300 feet. If you do go that route, make sure you are getting cameras that are rated for that DVR (PoE vs needing external power) I like the idea of running a single network cable to each camera and having it be "self powered", its much simpler to install if youre going with a wired system.

I have now exceeded 70 cameras. Most of them are Reolink, some are Dahua Starlight, and some are Loryta (crap firmware, same camera as a Dahua Starlight). I think all but 5 are PoE. I have eliminated all my old cameras (I had some that were pushing 15 years old). I think I'm down to 5 or so RLC-410 4MP left.

Best bang for the buck is Reolink RLC-520. For less than $50 you have a decent camera that isn't flaky and that includes putting a 64GB SDCard in it. The cheapest I have purchased them is $32 shipped and another $8 for a 64GB SDcard.

I have some PTZ, some PT, and a couple Z cameras. Other than for looking for pets in a house, I'll take multiple fixed cameras over one that I have to move.

Reolink has a NVR. I have it. I have it screwed to the wall in the garden shed. It is solid mediocre, and I only paid $120 for it. If you plug cameras into it directly you can't connect to the cameras directly, you have to go through the NVR. You *can* connect to the cameras over the "LAN" port and record them, essentially allowing you to record on the camera, on the NVR, and on a third piece of equipment. Since it will record 8 cameras, it can tax a gigabit network port.

Most of my recording is done by iSpy now. It's easier to move configs around using it. It slaughters multiple servers, a laptop, and a desktop. Pretty much everything is 8 seconds of pre-record and 180 seconds of post-record. Having a decent (modern) GPU/APU is a must. Intel HD630 and an I5 is the minimum that is tolerable.

I am using almost only cheap BVTech switches. They have some 8+1+SFP switches for $70 that are nice, even have a tool-less DIN mount. I have one of these buried in a box in the ground. I also have a bunch of their 4+1 port switches. Slowly been replacing various other consumer grade switches because of flakyness or failure.

I have a couple cameras running on PoE repeaters (think two-port PoE-powered switch) successfully.

I've been trying to find some decent NVRs but haven't found any yet. Would like to migrate away from using PCs.

I have the ring stick up battery cameras, I have owned it about 4 months and just had to charge the batteries for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago on the highest distance settings. They have been good and the $50/yr for ring to store the footage doesn't bother me. I selected to not share the info with the "neighborhood" as what ring calls it. They are simple to take down to recharge the batteries too. They are an outdoor camera and have been great, help solve a boys being boys case in front of our house in July too. Completely wireless system, runs off the wifi and has 1080 video, sound, and can communicate through device. Pretty good system if you can find them on sale at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Information