Thread: Craftsman Oilless Air Compressor Issue - 1.6hp, 33 gallon

Forum Member

Default Craftsman Oilless Air Compressor Issue - 1.6hp, 33 gallon

I have a 1.6HP 33gallon Craftsman air compressor. It's one of the 120v oilless units, and the motor/pump/etc is basically all 1 unit under a large plastic shroud. This isn't one of the more robust units with a motor separate from a standalone pump.

It'll work well intermittently, and then at times will fire up for 1-3 seconds and shut right down. Try that a couple of times, and then it doesn't do anything at all for a while. I took off the shroud and noticed quite a bit of sparking from the brushes/armature area.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Brushes don't look to be crazily worn or anything. Is the motor just shot? Does this point to bad brushes, or something else bad internally to the motor?

If it is shot, any sort of quick and easy solution? I thought about buying a HF 2hp motor and pump and reusing the tank, gauge, regulator, etc...but that will still be well over $300. Budget is extremely tight at the moment.

I had this compressor years ago and had the same problem, parts were close to the same as replacing it so I put it in the trash. I went with a 60 gallon Campbell hausfield at a bit more than your budget. I bought it at tractor supply, they had the best price plus a sale at the time.

Forum Member

Good to know...with Black Friday coming up, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a deal.

Try wiggling the power cord. Could have an internal break. I have the same compressor too. That thing is the LS1 of compressors.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Forum Member

I had a 21 gallon for roughly 8 years and it wasn't bad for weekend warrior use. In a pinch i got the "oiled" HF 120v compressor and it was just as loud if not louder than my previous craftsman. I returned it and picked up the Kobalt 30 gallon 2 stage. Best $500 ive ever spent.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Try wiggling the power cord. Could have an internal break. I have the same compressor too. That thing is the LS1 of compressors.

-Geoff
    Good thinking - I will check that!

Forum Member

Hey all - would like to get a new compressor, but with the state of the world right now, I want cash on hand.

Thinking I may take a crack at limping this thing along if I can - in the video below, you can see the massive "spark" in the left side of the upper brush. Is this indicative of a bad brush? Bad armature?

Thread Information