Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help – Towing / Transmission Question…

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I believe they don’t do trailer tow because of the lowered suspension and high speed tires
    This.

I wouldn't be surprised if the button worked out of the box without a BCM flash. But at the weight you're thinking of towing, I don't think you'll even need to/haul mode.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Couple things.... this should have a 6L80 trans. As for failures the most common are torque converter failures....clutch inside goes bad....turns the fluid to silver paint...takes out the pump. Also common to see the pressure regulator valve wear out. Many re-builders are now using HP tuners (after a rebuild to protect their work) turning up the line pressure a little, disabling the DoD and make the tcc only apply in 5th & 6th gear. Also avoid oil bath air filters and make sure your MAF sensor is clean. One other item your trans may have ... On the side of the trans is a aluminum block the cooler lines feed in/out of.... its a thermostat for very cold climates. You tube has videos on how to by pass the thermostatic door and allow full cooling all the time..... there is also a kit you can use to do the some thing (made by superior (stl010)... by-passing the thematic door lowers operating temp by 30 degrees. I suspect with frequent maintenance, lowering operating temps and a trans tune will give you some better longevity.... these units are starting to fail rapidly now.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    Couple things.... this should have a 6L80 trans. As for failures the most common are torque converter failures....clutch inside goes bad....turns the fluid to silver paint...takes out the pump. Also common to see the pressure regulator valve wear out. Many re-builders are now using HP tuners (after a rebuild to protect their work) turning up the line pressure a little, disabling the DoD and make the tcc only apply in 5th & 6th gear. Also avoid oil bath air filters and make sure your MAF sensor is clean. One other item your trans may have ... On the side of the trans is a aluminum block the cooler lines feed in/out of.... its a thermostat for very cold climates. You tube has videos on how to by pass the thermostatic door and allow full cooling all the time..... there is also a kit you can use to do the some thing (made by superior (stl010)... by-passing the thematic door lowers operating temp by 30 degrees. I suspect with frequent maintenance, lowering operating temps and a trans tune will give you some better longevity.... these units are starting to fail rapidly now.
    Wow! Tons of great info, thank you Sir!

I did clean the MAF sensor, that took care of one
    problem!

Thread Information