Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some turbo/tuning knowledge help

With new tune installed, replaced oil pump as it died, it now has a nice idle and does not limp mode at idle speed so far.

After a few soft runs that spun a limp mode with zero codes or reference info, we think we found the culprit. Shift points. There must be some sort of safety built in some where that when the vehicle shifts, it will over rev slightly. But that over rev is sending the TCM into panic mode. So we backed the RPM range down and that feels like it fixed 70% of the issues. We still have a WOT limp mode issue and a limp mode above 80mph in 4th. But it feels like it could be a programming issue.

Final part is temperature. This thing does not like the cold. Throttle response is super laggy from a standing position to slow roll and it stutters until the temps warm up. Then it runs like a champ. And when full boost is reach at 7psi, I have to remember that just because my foot is off the gas, it doesn't mean the car is ready to slow down!

Update: So after many months of replacing parts (at the shops expense) they reset the tune back to stock. They thought maybe because they tuned it with the transfer case disconnected on a dyno, that maybe there is something there. Turned out, that is true. They have since did a street tune instead of a dyno tune on it. Zero stutter, no codes, no limp mode, and they said it feels noticeably faster than before. They have it for a few more days of driving it to make sure it gets a thorough shake down, but it sounds like the mystery is literally the programming of the TCM. I am just glad they figured it out without anything breaking and without costing my additional money.

I plan to take it to Louisville for an AWD dyno day to get some final numbers and review input. I will post up once it al that gets done.

That's pretty odd, glad they got it sorted out.

Jeeps back, feels solid. No failures so far, thankfully. But now I have some questions from people that may have dealt with similar issues.

Chrysler performance vehicles apparently always have that Chrysler snort/fart/whatever when shifting. Basically that time in between shifts. Now that I have the turbo's rolling, that went from a 1-2 second shift to what feels like an easy 5-8 second shift. the rpms get pushed into the redline area really quick and I believe its related to preventing the trans or motor from over revving or something.

If I use the auto stick, I can do a 1-2 shift at 4500 and it will shift right at 5800 rpm which prevents the snort, 2-3 at 5000 rpm, and 3-4-5 at 5500. And the vehicle will fully pull with no lag between shifts.

Is there a type of tuning that can be done for down shifting or up shifting when at WOT? That will not throw a fit when tuning for the trans and transfer case? Apparently there is 2 areas that need programming or something. Thoughts?

Future plans is 426 rebuild, top to bottom. Paramount or SHR trans (unless I can find a 3rd alternative) Paramount or SHR transfer case ( unless I can find a 3rd alternative).
    Once these 3 items are done, I can turn the turbos up a bit. Also plan to get a dyno read from an AWD system in Louisville once the burn everything to the ground movement ends.

make sure your tuner is using hptuners
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    make sure your tuner is using hptuners
    He is, But from what I am reading and hearing in my jeep forums, the 2006 has a different ECM/TCM/PCM or what ever from 2007 and up models. But honestly, I have no clue. He tunes tones of other Dodge vehicles and Jeeps. But mine is a bit of a weird one.

He had to pull almost all of the transmission tuning stuff out to make it work

Are there any good aftermarket controllers available? Spending some money on a good stand-alone might solve a lot of your problems.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Are there any good aftermarket controllers available? Spending some money on a good stand-alone might solve a lot of your problems.

-Geoff
    That's the question of the hour I guess. I have asked on a few of the forums I am on. Several have recommended the tuners the use, but have also stated that if you have such and such PCM or TCM that you can brick your modules. I have seen the write up on how to find out which one you have, but the soft kick board that I should be able to move by hand is hard as a rock and I will have to remove my entire dash section or destroy the kickboard in order to get to where I can see or read the info. But maybe a real mechanic knows a trick lol.

Once I go out to Louisville and also start up some discussions with a few transmission places, Maybe they can give me some input. For now, I will just have to work around it.

I plan to take it to the track tonight if the weather works out. I want to see what my crappy launch times might produce.

Thread Information