Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some turbo/tuning knowledge help

Default Some turbo/tuning knowledge help

Just got my jeep back from the shop that did an install for me. They also tuned it. But immediately it started having issues. Intermittent issues.

Mainly Limp mode when parked at idle, in drive but full break at idle, and in reverse either stopped or slow rolling. Also got limp mode when shifting from 3rd to 4th at 4500 rpm. If I manually put it in 5th gear and ran the rpm past that point, no issues. and when normally driving, zero issues that I notice.

Attached is a code scan after initial start where limp mode came on.
    Also attached is some data logs. I have no idea how to interpret the values on the data logs. But I do see patterns. The LTFT is crazy looking compared to youtube explanations of what it should be. And the STFT is also odd. The short term starts off in the negative and once limp mode comes on, it corrects itself to 0.0~. I also notice the TPS shows a value. I plan to recalibrate that tonight using the key method.

Jeep SRT8 2006 6.1 Hemi
    2 CHM 67mm Billet Wheel Turbos, .81AR, T4, 3" V Band Outlet, 3" Compressor Inlet
    2 CHM 38mm WasteGates
    1 Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve
    1 4" OnIII Core Intercooler, 3" In 3" Out
    1 CHM Aluminum Custom 3.5" Piping From Intake To Intercooler
    1 CHM Aluminum Custom 2.5 to 3 Piping From Turbos To Intercooler
    2 CHM Stainless 2.5" Hot Side Piping Black Ceramic Coated
    2 CHM Stainless 3" Exhaust Rear Center Exit Black Ceramic Coated
    2 Turbo Filters Custom Intake Tubes
    1 CHM Custom Stand Alone Oiling System For Rear Mount Twin Turbos
    1 All T Bolt Clamps And Silicone Couplers
    1 Boost Vacuum Block WIth Rubber Vacuum Lines and Barb Fittings
    1 CHM Stage 1 Fuel System 850cc Injectors/Fuel Pump
    1 3 Bar Map Sensor
    1 CHM DYNO TUNE
    1 Upgrade Stand Alone Oil System With Oil Cooler
    1 Aluminum Coolant Tank
    1 CHM Catch Can 10an Lines Black Fittings
    2 5" Rolled Exhaust Tips
    1 Powder Coat Cold Side Piping
    2 Mobil 1 10w-30 Oil For Turbos

Thanks for any insight. I am talking with my tuner to solve the issues. But I like to have multiple inputs just in case.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14T...y2u_8STFXs9kmw
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yp...lHM4j9AHWGhzDf
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vg...xJrPDX3tevt1h3
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u2...-GKxPm-D6OjDS9

Cracked plug maybe? I have seen that same behavior before when working on my own car. Cracked a spark plug when loading the headers. Did they change the plugs?

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

As a matter of fact, last minute, they did. Hmm. Other than pulling every plug, is there an easy way to tell? If not, looks like I know what my plans are tonight.

No help on the time here, but I’m curious how it feels now with the twins?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    No help on the time here, but I’m curious how it feels now with the twins?
    I haven't got into it really heavy yet. Mainly due to the fear of breaking something with the current issue. But at 25-30% throttle it pushes hard. The slow shift due to stock trans sucks and from a feel perspective, really limits the over all impact. But it is a noticeable difference. We picked up 140hp to the wheels at 7.5lbs of boost. Potentially, that may be with an issue. So we shall see.

Is the fuel system boost referenced or does a second pump come on or anything?
    are the o2 sensors plugged into the correct locations?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Is the fuel system boost referenced or does a second pump come on or anything?
    are the o2 sensors plugged into the correct locations?
    all valid questions. And honestly, I have no freaking clue at this point. The shop and the guy building the car does a lot of turbo vehicles. And his work was highly recommended in the mopar crowd down here. Construction and materials looked good. He said he made the tune by doing several driving scenarios shift point wise and then on the dyno. I will be in contact with him tonight and make sure I ask a ton of questions.

I do know that he bypassed a few sensors, like the one that goes into the intake. And programmed in a fixed value set.

Dyno pull info

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18y...4m1QnuD5bv_CYU
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R7...7iDOC-6w8KvSiT
    Last edited by furian76; 12-10-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by furian76 View Post
    As a matter of fact, last minute, they did. Hmm. Other than pulling every plug, is there an easy way to tell? If not, looks like I know what my plans are tonight.
    It is unlikely they are cracked if they did them after header install. It is hard to tell and you have to pull the spark plug boot. They usually crack on the ceramics, you will see faint gray lines on the white part of the plug. I looked on Google and there are a bunch of pics. A tiny line on it is all it takes.

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 12-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Oh, and if you log it, you should be able to separate out the misfires by cylinder. That should tell you where to look. If they are all in one, that should be a pretty big clue.

-Geoff

That's good info. I have the shop coming to my house tonight. Pulling the plugs is a nightmare on this vehicle. Most of the coil packs are mounted below other accessories that have to be removed to even get the bolts out. but on the couple of cylinders I checked, they looked clean and new.

The tuner said that the data logs, which I linked above, shows it running rich. So he thinks an injector is stuck slightly open. But the vehicle was running flawless prior to install and tune. And I did a sea foam treatment 2 weeks prior to taking it into the shop for the work.

I will update with what we find tonight. Thanks for all the input and help.

Thread Information